Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Canis

Send a message via MSN to Canis

Old April 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
It's a proofing issue, CGL are getting better but they still contradict themselves occaisionally.

The way I read these is Metavariants are metagenic simply because of their free qualities. The vast majority of times you see 'metatype' in the rules you should include metavariants too - it's the same with Humans (long ago some people didn't see human as a metatype).

Changling allows any other qualities besides the free ones. Least that's how I read it.

And yeah, HL doesn't allow normal qualities to be taken as metagenic ones.
Canis is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM
You could read it that way... except of course the part of the book where it said that if you're a metavariant you can choose powers. Which is why I suggested getting clarification from Catalyst.
cryptoknight is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Well I just did what Mathias told me to do, it was a simple work around that worked.. So at this point I'm very happy. Thanks all - hope we can get an answer from Catalyst Game Labs soon - LOL
jbearwillis is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old April 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Fwiw, the only other character builders.... Chummer and the Excel spreadsheet from dumpshock both take different tacts... Chummer lets you add them, the excel spreadsheet does not. *sigh* so much for consensus.
cryptoknight is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Peter Smith

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Poke Jason, see what he says.
Peter Smith is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Protector152

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
if it helps, changelings can go over the 35 BP limit on negative and positive qualities. eg, SURGE 3 costs 15 points of the positive quality limit, none on the negative quality limit and gives the player 15 "free" (they get 30 and pay for 15) points of positive and 15 "free" negative points to spend. while it is true that the points kind of balance each other out, it dose mean that a changeling could spend 50 BP on positive and negative quality's.

also i do not see a contradiction in the rules, after all Formori are still limited to 35 BP of quality's. Formori Changling anyone?
Protector152 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Ozymandias

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Some errors found with the new Runners Companion release in Shadowrun: the positive qualities College Education and Linguist do not add any rating bonus for skills of rank 1. Also, the rating bonus gained on Languages from the Linguist quality should be +2, not +1.

Last edited by Ozymandias; April 17th, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
Ozymandias is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Mad Hamish

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:09 AM
whoops, In Debt is right but didn't work how I expected

Last edited by Mad Hamish; April 18th, 2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: I was wrong
Mad Hamish is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Some errors found with the new Runners Companion release in Shadowrun: the positive qualities College Education and Linguist do not add any rating bonus for skills of rank 1. Also, the rating bonus gained on Languages from the Linguist quality should be +2, not +1.
SR4A, pg 68 (Skill Ratings): "The maximum modified rating allowed is 1.5 times the natural rating..."

So, with a skill rating of 1, you can't take advantage of the bonus rating you're getting from those qualities. You'll need a skill rating of at least 4 to get the full advantage from Linguist.
Mathias is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old April 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Just as an FYI I posed the metagenetic question to the Shadowrun4.com forums, hoping for a Catalyst person to step in. But right now it seems that the majority feel that metavariants can take additional metagenetic qualities, but can't take the Changeling quality.

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.p...;topicseen#new
cryptoknight is offline   #40 Reply With Quote