Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Troedel

Old October 13th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Can you imagine entering the contents of a rulebook in RW and keep it in a readable structure? I tried to tackle the problem and ended with two outcomes. The first is a string of links that jumps you from article to article, no skimming the text possible. The second is to put everything within a limited number of articles where no linking is possible to the different sections. Linking to sections or displaying the contents of a topic in an article would be nice. I once used a wiki for a homebrewn system. In example "Character creation" was one pagename and within the pages like "Attributes" or the different skills had been nested, "transcluded". That way I was able to reference to very specific parts on the one hand and had a readable text on the page "Character creation". It would be nice to have such a functionality.

What would be the "best practise" to enter a rulebook in the current version?
Troedel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old October 13th, 2014, 03:57 AM
I think the best and potentially also intended way is the Reference Database.
Tharmiones is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 13th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troedel View Post
What would be the "best practise" to enter a rulebook in the current version?
I think this is going to be one of those questions where you ask three different people, and you'll get five different answers.

Obviously, as was mentioned in the previous reply, there's a reference section. I've entered rule books where I sorted things by topic.
-Character Creation
-Combat
-Damage/Healing
-Skill Checks

That's just a simple breakdown for topics common to most rule systems.

Another way is to have your wiki, and link to it somewhere in one of your articles.

Another way is to have an external document, written up the way you want it written up, and attach it to an article.

For my taste, best practice is the first option. I organize the topics in a way that make sense to me, and create articles with brief snippets. But if that doesn't work for you, you have other options.
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
wildfire142

Old October 13th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Have recently started to create a reference section for one of my realms by entering information about professions and skills.

The skills are organised by category with each skill entered as a seperate article and grouped under the category.

While each profession is a seperate article it does combine all the needed information into a single topic that is easily referenced when needed.

When I come to create the character generation article I'll group needed articles under that and have links to other articles that don't logically fall under that grouping.

Basically write and arrange the articles and groups as they make sense to you. One thing I find is often you don't want the page to be too long as skimming it to find info can be harder than reading through several short pages.

Hope this helps a bit
wildfire142 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote