Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

Wombat

Old January 30th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I was working with my 40k army, and saw that if I right-click on a unit I get an option for Unit Details, and in that menu I get "show unit photo". This brings up a new window that says "click to download image". When I click it just gives me an error "error starting image download".

Does this mean there is a way to upload pictures of my minis here? If so, how?
Wombat is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Russell
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Not exactly. :-)
The data file authors can specify a URL (as part of the unit information) of an image for AB to download and display. It's not user specific - unless you want to edit your data files yourself and put your own URL's in there... Of course, your changes will be overwritten everytime you update your datafiles if you choose to do that.

Russell.
Russell is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old January 30th, 2006, 10:50 PM
this is on the cards for the 40K files to provide images but there is other things that need to sorted out before hand
harkan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Wombat

Old January 31st, 2006, 10:12 AM
So is this on the roadmap to be added to the core product at some point?
Wombat is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, letting users add their own images is one of the many things that is still on our todo list. There are lots of things on that list, so I can't commit to when it will be added, but it's definitely on there. :-)

-Rob

At 11:12 AM 1/31/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
So is this on the roadmap to be added to the core product at some point?
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Wombat

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hello! It's been a year (give or take) so I thought I'd just see if this feature was any closer to being in the core product?

Thanks!
Wombat is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old May 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM
From the datafile standpoint we took the decision to not put images in - there were far too many potential copyright issues as well as bandwidth provision etc
harkan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Wombat

Old May 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
And I agree with that decision - GW's not know for looking the other way when it comes to their IP. Besides, I'm far more interested in being able to use my own images.
Wombat is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
chogenkiboy

Old June 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Cross-posted in another topic but repeated here...

When I orignally submitted the enhancement request to have optional images for Roster Units, I think the use case I outlined was pictures of my own minis... URLs to pictures from the manufacturer's website is an interesting idea, but my minis and/or paint schemes may not match the manufacturer's studio examples.

I'd rather be able to load images off my drive and embed them into the roster (preferred) or link to a file on my drive (might allow you to reuse some of your URL code). I'd also prefer to see this a Roster option that doesn't rely on the data file author to implement them, because the manufacturer's (or author's) link may change over time (not to mention my own hard drive structure).

The goal for this is two-fold... I don't forget which mini(s) match which roster entry (or have to hand write notes like I do now... "mini with red hair" or "unit with blue insignia")... my main interest... and if another player questions the mini(s) vs. roster, disputes should quick to resolve ("see, Mr. Rules Judge, I'm not cheating").

... additional text...

I think pictures of my minis in my roster from my computer should not pose any legal or bandwidth issues... moreover, the pictures will match what I'm playing with instead of studio examples.

I don't think images should be specified at data file design time. They should be optional and specified at roster edit time. Otherwise, how will I get to choose images from my miniature collection? I can live with image links instead of embedded images to keep roster files text based and small, but I'd like the images displayed in the roster editor with warnings about broken links.

I can live with images of a fixed size or pre-set options with max dimensions. I can even live with images printing on their own row to minimize impacts on roster loayouts/views. I would like images to dynamically scale when loaded, at least to conform to maximum dimensions (much like eBay does when you create an auction) so that I don't have to pre-scale my images, but I don't need crop or other image edit functions built into AB... I can edit images externally.

Since my original enhancement request got slammed by someone that missed the all important premise that this functionality is supposed to be optional (they were worried about ink), I'd appreciate any feedback either originate from LWD or be constructive, such as "I'd prefer image functionality to do X" or "I'd prioritize this after A & B, before D"... "I hate images" or "I'd prioritize it as never" don't move a discussion or product in a positive direction... they just demonstrate you're bitter and/or have no better ideas to offer.
chogenkiboy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
At 04:31 PM 6/18/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I can live with images of a fixed size or pre-set options with max dimensions. I can even live with images printing on their own row to minimize impacts on roster loayouts/views. I would like images to dynamically scale when loaded, at least to conform to maximum dimensions (much like eBay does when you create an auction) so that I don't have to pre-scale my images, but I don't need crop or other image edit functions built into AB... I can edit images externally.

Since my original enhancement request got slammed by someone that missed the all important premise that this functionality is supposed to be optional (they were worried about ink), I'd appreciate any feedback either originate from LWD or be constructive, such as "I'd prefer image functionality to do X" or "I'd prioritize this after A & B, before D"... "I hate images" or "I'd prioritize it as never" don't move a discussion or product in a positive direction... they just demonstrate you're bitter and/or have no better ideas to offer.
Image support IS something on the todo list of AB, including user-added images. However, there are two key factors working against it actually getting added. The first issue is that there are very different expectations from different users about how it should work. This means that adding it in a way that the majority of users find to be "good" requires quite a inherent flexibility in the mechanism (i.e. lots of work). The second (and more important) issue is that not that many users have indicated that this is something they would find useful.

When we prioritize features for inclusion, there are three primary factors the come into play. First, how many users will truly find this feature valuable? Second, how must the feature be implemented so that is works well for the vast majority of those users? Third, how much effort will be required to accomplish that goal?

When you have a feature is the not widely requested, complex to design, and will require lots of work to implement, it usually gets bumped in favor of other features that rank higher in those areas. The only exception to this is if it's a feature that is near and dear to either Colen or myself, in which case it will sometimes get squeezed in (but usually still ends up being dropped).

So what's needed is a proposal that details a cohesive way in which unit images should be handled within AB, including within the UI, in roster output, and in saving that information (i.e. how/where to save information that can be readily moved by the user in the saved roster files). The proposal needs to subsequently get significant support from the user base for inclusion in the next update. If that is achieved, then it's something that will have a high probability of getting added. There are already a bunch of items that meet these criteria for the next update, so nothing is guaranteed, but that's how to get this feature moved up the priority list.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote