Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Omphaloskeptic

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM
One of my players is making a shaman character and Hero Lab considers the 'Old Ways Oath' edge a prerequisite for Arcane Background (Shamanism).

I'm new to Hero Lab -- can I fix the data file myself? I'm using Hero Lab for Mac, what are the relevant files?

Which leads to another question: is there a way to give characters a campaign-specific free edge (or the like)?

Sorry for my ignorance...
Omphaloskeptic is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Omphaloskeptic

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Okay, okay: I found the editor and fixed my copy of the file.

Still, Old Ways Oath is not a prerequisite for AB: Shamanism, so -- maybe in the next update ... ?
Omphaloskeptic is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Sorry I missed this earlier.

However, in Deadlands Reloaded on p. 31 under Old Ways Oath (Major): "Shamans, whose magic relies on communing with nature spirits, must take this Hindrance."

And again on p. 33. Arcane Background (Shamanism): "Requirements: Novice, Old Ways Oath"

So it IS a requirement for Shamanism. Looks like you figured out how to fix it if you don't want it to be one in your game, though. I will note, however, that if you modified the DLR.user file then whenever there is an update to that file your version will be overwritten.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Omphaloskeptic

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, and I realize about the updates.

What edition of Deadlands: Reloaded do you have? Mine lists the requirements for AB: Shamanism as "Requirements: Novice" on p. 31, nothing about Shamanism under Old Ways Oath (p. 29 -- OWO has a Minor level in mine, but it's not an option in the .user file), and the statement, "While shamans are not required to take the Old Ways Oath Hindrance at character creation..."

Ah. Just checked my copy of the original hardback and that seems to be what you're referencing (but I don't feel like retyping above...). I think the Hindrance was changed when the book was split into Player's Guide and Marshal's Handbook.

Anyway, I understand now how to customize these minor points, so it's all cool.

Thanks.
Omphaloskeptic is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 25th, 2013, 05:26 AM
The number on the book is 10200, copyright shows 2005. I don't see an edition or printing number listed anywhere, though. The errata I have doesn't list anything about that, either (http://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Re...od_Errata.html). However, looking at the 2nd printing additions (http://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Re...gAdditions.pdf) it looks like that part did change. So it looks like the original DLR.user file was probably put together under the 1st printing rules. I believe CapedCrusader is working on an update for this now anyway (I worked on an update myself that he might be working from, but didn't realize I was only working from the 1st printing, too, so it doesn't have that change). Hopefully he'll catch this, though, and get those changes in for the next update. It should be a pretty big one as there were a lot of little (and some not so little) fixes and additions to go in.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Doswelk

Old November 20th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
...looking at the 2nd printing additions (http://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Re...gAdditions.pdf) it looks like that part did change. So it looks like the original DLR.user file was probably put together under the 1st printing rules. I believe CapedCrusader is working on an update for this now anyway (I worked on an update myself that he might be working from, but didn't realize I was only working from the 1st printing, too, so it doesn't have that change). Hopefully he'll catch this, though, and get those changes in for the next update. It should be a pretty big one as there were a lot of little (and some not so little) fixes and additions to go in.
I was just trying to create a Shaman with the DLR data file version 2.4, and this has the Old Ways Oath as requirement, in addition it incorrectly only give 10 PP rather than the 15 a Shaman gets.

I worked out how to change the power points but I cannot work out how to remove the Old Ways Oath requirement, help!
Doswelk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote