Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Shadowchaser

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
One thing that I *hope* the new Mutants and Masterminds 3E license would have, a feature I'd been hoping for in the old licenses (I don't even know if this is possible) is the ability to 'save out' aspects of a character that I've made.

It would be great to build a device and save it to a 'Devices' folder, and have another folder for 'Powers'.

For example, if I built an 'Alien Space Suit Helmet' and included the following powers: Universal Translator, Immunity (Suffocation), and it was a common element in my campaign... it would be great to just click on a list of devices/equipment and see my creation added to the list. Or, say for a Green Lantern build, I could make a standardized Ring structure, and save that out to be loaded into any character I wanted.

I think this was brought up at least once for the old 2E ruleset, and I believe the answer was that the program wasn't designed to handle it... but if possible I'd love to see this concept revisited with the 3E rules...

Over to you, Sirs.
Shadowchaser is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 11th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowchaser View Post
One thing that I *hope* the new Mutants and Masterminds 3E license would have, a feature I'd been hoping for in the old licenses (I don't even know if this is possible) is the ability to 'save out' aspects of a character that I've made.

It would be great to build a device and save it to a 'Devices' folder, and have another folder for 'Powers'.

For example, if I built an 'Alien Space Suit Helmet' and included the following powers: Universal Translator, Immunity (Suffocation), and it was a common element in my campaign... it would be great to just click on a list of devices/equipment and see my creation added to the list. Or, say for a Green Lantern build, I could make a standardized Ring structure, and save that out to be loaded into any character I wanted.

I think this was brought up at least once for the old 2E ruleset, and I believe the answer was that the program wasn't designed to handle it... but if possible I'd love to see this concept revisited with the 3E rules...

Over to you, Sirs.
You are correct that this has been discussed using terms like templates or pre-made creations or modular items. The last I recall hearing Colen say was an acknowledgement that it is a good idea and he was going to think seriously about how it could be made to happen.

Now, since I've already thrown my $0.02 worth in, the work-around solution I've used for the games I'm in is to make a bare-bones sheet that has all the "stuff" that is "standard" for a particular campaign, save that as the Master Template and then build all the subsequent characters off of that template. Then I 'Save As' each finished product with that particular character's name. Any new character that is needed later on begins from that campaign's Master Template. :-)

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
This is definitely something we still want to do - we have a couple of upcoming games that could really make use of this functionality, as well as Mutants & Masterminds. Unfortunately, HL wasn't designed to save out individual pieces of a hero, only a whole hero at once; as a result, we can't accomplish this quite yet.

It is definitely still on our list of "important features for M&M", though, since it would be useful for both editions of the game.
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
This is definitely something we still want to do - we have a couple of upcoming games that could really make use of this functionality, as well as Mutants & Masterminds. Unfortunately, HL wasn't designed to save out individual pieces of a hero, only a whole hero at once; as a result, we can't accomplish this quite yet.

It is definitely still on our list of "important features for M&M", though, since it would be useful for both editions of the game.
Cool! Glad it's still on your list of things to try and accomplish.

Have I mentioned that you guys rock, recently?
Shadowchaser is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
roguescribner

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
So, will there be a house rule feature for the 3E data pack? :-P
roguescribner is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguescribner View Post
So, will there be a house rule feature for the 3E data pack? :-P
Shush you! 3E will be perfection itself! Correcting any slight deficiency 2E may have had. Thus, no need for "House Rules" to ever enter into one's thinking.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
roguescribner

Old July 14th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Well, the DC Adventures pdf is out already and while there's some good things, there's also some clunky things (i.e. impervious toughness and presence).
roguescribner is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Edit- Okay, this is what I get for posting when I'm having a rough day at work. Man, I need to tone down the negativity here. 3E is a great set of rules, but yes, I'll be using House Rules. I'm kind of hoping there will be a way to adjust the number of core Abilities, it would be really really nice, and adjust which abilities do what... but probably not a deal-breaker.

Last edited by Shadowchaser; July 21st, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Shadowchaser is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
A nice feature I'd like to see (this is something that I can kinda-sorta do right now with the Output Summary) is a BBS-encoded output option. Being able to quickly post my characters to forums (like over at the atomic think tank) with proper formatting is a really, really nice feature.
Shadowchaser is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
roguescribner

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
Does the output summary bbcode option not cover that?
roguescribner is offline   #10 Reply With Quote