Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

zebulon8

Old March 23rd, 2020, 09:54 AM
In Campaign Theater, I need to view my players' characters. When will this be supported?
zebulon8 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Koro76

Old March 23rd, 2020, 03:35 PM
Seconded, but I'm pretty confident that the team has their eye on this feature.
Koro76 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 23rd, 2020, 03:58 PM
You can do this right now but you have to place the PCs onto the Stage.

Once the PCs are on the stage click the single person icon:
Image2.jpg

Then select the PC you wish to see. Ignore the message the about not being able to view the PC. Finally press the "Load Full Character" button. This looks like a window pane I would say:
Image3.jpg

Then the full view of the PC will display.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Koro76

Old March 24th, 2020, 11:58 AM
For my comment, I should have been more specific. I've frequently needed to edit chatacters' information, as well as view the character information in the right panel.
Koro76 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 25th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Viewing the information of PCs is a high priority for us, so you should see that in the upcoming weeks. However, EDITING of another player's PC is whole different animal. Many players would object to a GM mucking with their character, so that's where the whole "transfer of control" comes into play. Control can be transferred to you (the GM), you edit the PC, and then control is transferred back. That's akin to the player handing you their character sheet and then you handing it back after modifying it in some way. Something more sophisticated than that model is not on our near-term roadmap.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zebulon8

Old March 26th, 2020, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
You can do this right now but you have to place the PCs onto the Stage.
Hey, ShadowChemosh, thanks for the workaround! I was able to use this successfully to view the party.
zebulon8 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Koro76

Old March 27th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Viewing the information of PCs is a high priority for us, so you should see that in the upcoming weeks. However, EDITING of another player's PC is whole different animal. Many players would object to a GM mucking with their character, so that's where the whole "transfer of control" comes into play. Control can be transferred to you (the GM), you edit the PC, and then control is transferred back. That's akin to the player handing you their character sheet and then you handing it back after modifying it in some way. Something more sophisticated than that model is not on our near-term roadmap.
I appreciate the transparency about the roadmap. The reason I was talking about editing players' sheets was due to a conversation I had with my group after a player had to be away from the table for a while. Their character got hit to which the primary response was "just change their hp in HLO, we'll let them know when they get back" and, while a character proxy is active on the stage, you can't transfer control, otherwise we would have had to reroll initiative etc. I can also see other circumstances in which this could be useful, like if a character gets pickpocketed, and they fail their check to notice, depending on your GM style.
Koro76 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 27th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koro76 View Post
I appreciate the transparency about the roadmap. The reason I was talking about editing players' sheets was due to a conversation I had with my group after a player had to be away from the table for a while. Their character got hit to which the primary response was "just change their hp in HLO, we'll let them know when they get back" and, while a character proxy is active on the stage, you can't transfer control, otherwise we would have had to reroll initiative etc. I can also see other circumstances in which this could be useful, like if a character gets pickpocketed, and they fail their check to notice, depending on your GM style.
That's definitely a situation we WANT to support. The problem is that solving that in a clean manner in actually pretty convoluted. There are some players who would take offense at a GM directly modifying their character without explicit permission. At the other end of the spectrum, there are gaming groups where the GM freely mucks directly with PCs, and even some groups where PCs regularly pickpocket each other. So solving this cleanly means setting up some concept of permissions, where the GM can control what can/can't be done and the players know what to expect going in. Then those permissions need to be properly enforced.

Is it truly hard? Nope.
It is messy to set it all up? Yep.
Is it a lot of time to deal with it all? Yep.
Is it a common situation that groups run into? Nope.

And that's why it's not in the near-term plan. Right now, we're focused on putting things into place that yield the maximum benefit to the broadest number of users. A bit further down the line, we can turn our focus to situations like the one you described above.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old March 29th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Ideally, I'd think you would have an original copy of the character that the player owns.

But having the character within the game that the DM is running would give them a copy of that character as well.
The GM can apply things like a poison or give a sword that hasn't yet been identified (in Classic you can rename it with a Custom Name to just 'unknown longsword' or whatever).
The GM would have to be able to view and edit the characters within their game.

The player would still have their original, if they didn't want the changes the GM/DM had made to it.

That's my take on it, anyway.
Ualaa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
Ideally, I'd think you would have an original copy of the character that the player owns.

But having the character within the game that the DM is running would give them a copy of that character as well.

The player would still have their original, if they didn't want the changes the GM/DM had made to it.
Which of there two characters is "official"? They are both "in the campaign". The GM says it's the character s/he mucked, and the player says it's the original character. Who's right?

Theoretically, it's the GM that's always right, but there are still lots of players out there that wouldn't take kindly to that. And if we support both, now we have multiple versions of the same character "in the campaign" that must be distinguish. Sometimes even conceptually simple solutions get messy in the details when trying to accommodate the full spectrum of play styles.

Right now, editing access is all-or-nothing. The ideal solution would be restricted access, where certain information is editable by the GM and other information is not - and differing levels of restriction that can be configured for a given campaign. We've already got the foundations of such a model built in to how we handle things under the covers. But there's a hefty chunk of work involved in fully exposing that out to users. So it's on the roadmap.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote