Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone,

Mathias has been hard at work for the last few weeks, and the results are now available - the "Pathfinder Bestiary I" data package. This new data package includes all material from the Pathfinder Bestiary and Bonus Bestiary, with over 300 creatures and stock heroes ready for instant use in your games.

This optional add-on package costs $14.99, and can be purchased by going to the "License" menu within Hero Lab and selecting "Purchase Data Package...".

The updated Pathfinder files also include a number of bug fixes, and a new advanced tutorial which shows you how to create your own race. If you're interested in creating your own races in Hero Lab, I recommend you check it out - you can find it by clicking the "Help" menu in the editor.

Enjoy!
Colen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Same comment I put on the Paizo forums...

Other then adding a bunch of monsters, will this add any other functionality to Pathfinder in herolabs that is worth spending $15?
Dragnmoon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Same reply I put on the Paizo forums

The new package just adds the Bestiary monsters - it's most useful for GMs who want to use Hero Lab to build their own encounters. You can also export them to d20pro, as mentioned above.

If you're a Pathfinder player and you don't have any use for 300 new monsters, this probably isn't a package you'll be interested in - in that case, you can just keep using the Pathfinder files as before. But I know a number of GMs were clamoring for this addon a few months ago, so this package is targeted at them.
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
lol... Same post I put in the Paizo forums..

I am a GM, I just want to make sure with this new package I can build my own monster based on the rules in the Bestiary, will this package allow that? Can I add templates from the Bestiary?
Dragnmoon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM
The monster creation stuff in Hero Lab (see my previous reply for details) doesn't require the new package - the package just adds the prebuilt monsters from the Bestiary in a convenient, easy to use way.

If you want to make your own monsters, you can just go into the editor and start creating them, whether you have this package or not.

Finally, I believe the templates from the Bestiary are already included - you can find them after the list of prestige classes in the "Choose Class" list.
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bigkilla

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Dejavu
Bigkilla is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
seeks4truth

Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:06 AM
How do you justify the extra cost of $15 for the simple addition of monsters? To me the idea of Core is the Player's guide, DM guide, and monster manual (bestiary). Core should be covered by the initial $20 and the adventure paths should be extra. That would be a MUCH better licensing (money making) scheme.
Either way, $15 is too much for an optional addon. Its only $5 shy of a complete Hero Lab module yet its only an add on book for Pathfinder. Oh, I can add it to d20? Still not a value to me. This would be a much better sell if you used the scheme I mentioned above or this "module" was priced at $10. Maybe if you had put in more features geared towards a GM (NPC generators, encounter calcs, etc.) and packaged it as a GM module for Pathfinder, THEN, maybe I could see it being worth $15.

Until then, I'll be taking a pass on the bestiary.
seeks4truth is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
huntercc

Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Actually, they spent a LOT of extra time implementing the Bestiary package. I'm fully comfortable shelling out extra cash for it.
huntercc is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
EberronKnight

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeks4truth View Post
How do you justify the extra cost of $15 for the simple addition of monsters? To me the idea of Core is the Player's guide, DM guide, and monster manual (bestiary). Core should be covered by the initial $20 and the adventure paths should be extra. That would be a MUCH better licensing (money making) scheme.
Either way, $15 is too much for an optional addon. Its only $5 shy of a complete Hero Lab module yet its only an add on book for Pathfinder. Oh, I can add it to d20? Still not a value to me. This would be a much better sell if you used the scheme I mentioned above or this "module" was priced at $10. Maybe if you had put in more features geared towards a GM (NPC generators, encounter calcs, etc.) and packaged it as a GM module for Pathfinder, THEN, maybe I could see it being worth $15.

Until then, I'll be taking a pass on the bestiary.
I thought the price was going to be $20, so that was a nice surprise. I've messed with creating custom stuff and it's a lot of work. I'm a player but got my DM hooked and when he bought the add on before our game started on Friday. I lost track after 10 times on how many times he said awesome.

If I wasn't a player, I would have bought it as a DM. Again, a lot of time and long nights I would imagine to put this together... $15 is dead on for price.
EberronKnight is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
I think this will be great for runnign encounters. It can help players as well if you have any skill in monsters you can just look them up. And for $15.00, thats a bargin.

As for someone saying that it should be covered in the base product sinces its part of the core rules, I would have to ask you why do you pay for 3 books for Pathfinder when Piazo should put it all in one book?

The answer is simple, if companies dont charge for their work, they wont be able to make any products.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote