Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Teresa

Old October 19th, 2018, 12:36 AM
Although I don't know which country Avi is from, I'll tell you about Portugal.

Overall, you can't be fired - you'll go on a medical leave of absence and you receive about half your paycheck (this can be more depending on circumstances). In certain cases you also get free medical treatment (although you pay for bought medication at a reduced price, you don't pay for anything else, medication or other service, provided by doctors in public hospitals). Your case needs to be regularly assessed to see if you are fit to return to work - then your company has to accept you back and, if needed, find ways to help you do your work in case of some remaining disabilities.

It's not perfect though, a few years back a primary school teacher undergoing chemo was deemed fit for work although she had throat cancer - there was a lot of backlash but it still took months before anything was done about it.
Teresa is offline   #621 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Although I don't know which country Avi is from, I'll tell you about Portugal.

Thank you, Teresa. I always like to learn how things are done in other countries. A person can learn a lot by looking at other systems of anything and see what works and what doesn't. I just wish the US wasn't so full of itself and would look at and learn how other countries do things.

Btw, the US is my country and I do vote so I can complain about its many fails. LOL
ruhar is offline   #622 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 23rd, 2018, 04:17 AM
I should point out that every company in the US isn't awful when it comes to handling extended illness in its employees. While I was on dialysis for almost 8 years I had to miss work a half day every Tuesday and Thursday plus I had a lot of doctor's appointments and my energy level and concentration level wasn't always great but my employer stuck by me.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #623 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:07 AM
Australia is pretty great in this regard. We get leave and sick leave entitlement and in my experience that generally goes unquestioned. Doctors can provide sick certificates.

I personally just got diagnosed with cancer on Saturday. By cob Thursday the cancer will be removed. My employer has been fantastic so far and not questioned my work commitment at all. They basically shooed me out of the building and told me to stop worrying about anything to do with them.

If you are in your 30s please get your nuts inspected... I'm really quite surprised at how not unhealthy I feel given what has been found. I wouldn't have noticed it or found it without the doctor.

Yay....

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; October 23rd, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
daplunk is offline   #624 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Australia is pretty great in this regard. We get leave and sick leave entitlement and in my experience that generally goes unquestioned. Doctors can provide sick certificates.

I personally just got diagnosed with cancer on Saturday. By cob Thursday the cancer will be removed. My employer has been fantastic so far and not questioned my work commitment at all. They basically shooed me out of the building and told me to stop worrying about anything to do with them.

If you are in your 30s please get your nuts inspected... I'm really quite surprised at how not unhealthy I feel given what has been found. I wouldn't have noticed it or found it without the doctor.

Yay....
Josh, I'm so sorry. Has it been staged and all that stuff? Have they X-ray'd your lungs?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #625 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:51 AM
I've had ultra sounds and ct scans and its looking like we caught it early. Waiting for bloods to come back though and won't really find out the next steps until post op.

Getting old sucks.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #626 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear that - all the best of luck! Because luck is important to help doctors get you back in shape in these cases.
Teresa is offline   #627 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 23rd, 2018, 02:22 PM
Quote:
I personally just got diagnosed with cancer on Saturday. By cob Thursday the cancer will be removed.

Very sorry to hear this but happy it was caught early!

My brother went through exactly this just last year and the new surgeries using robots make recovery time SUPER fast. The incision was super small and his latest blood work shows its 100% gone.

Hopefully you will have the same outcome!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #628 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:26 PM
Josh, so sorry to hear about your illness! I’m amazingly glad that it’s been found early, and I wish you all the best for your prognosis, treatment, and recovery. Look after yourself.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #629 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old October 23rd, 2018, 07:06 PM
Man, Josh - so sorry to hear about your cancer. I wish you a speedy and full remission!

Quote:
Getting old sucks.
It does, but IMO it still beats our only currently available alternative...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #630 Reply With Quote