Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

AndrewD2

Old March 28th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I took my hard drive out of my old laptop and put it in this one and didn't have to reactivate even though other programs I did. Hero Lab was fine.
AndrewD2 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 31st, 2016, 02:49 PM
Rob:

Is there any plans to allow the purchasing of more than 2 additional licenses? Or introduce shared licenses?

I have purchases a fair amount of Pathfinder modules for HL but a number of my players can't afford everything I purchased. I tend to use stuff from everywhere which makes it next to impossible for those individuals to to use some of my files. I try, but it's hard to keep track of what they all have installed in HL.

Another thing I'd like to see would be the ability to synch Data folders by DM's. At the moment, those of my players who have the stuff I have all use Dropbox. Whenever I update my files, I drop them in a shared Dropbox folder. Then they copy / paste them in to their Game Data folders.

For my roomies, I just shared their Game Data folders and created links on my work system. Then update their folders when I know they have updated HL to the same version I am currently using.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
Is there any plans to allow the purchasing of more than 2 additional licenses? Or introduce shared licenses?
Your in luck you can have 3 additional for a total of 5.

Quote:
I have purchases a fair amount of Pathfinder modules for HL but a number of my players can't afford everything I purchased. I tend to use stuff from everywhere which makes it next to impossible for those individuals to to use some of my files. I try, but it's hard to keep track of what they all have installed in HL.
If talking about .user files you are in luck as that is exactly what Colen's new beta solves.

Quote:
Another thing I'd like to see would be the ability to synch Data folders by DM's. At the moment, those of my players who have the stuff I have all use Dropbox. Whenever I update my files, I drop them in a shared Dropbox folder. Then they copy / paste them in to their Game Data folders.

For my roomies, I just shared their Game Data folders and created links on my work system. Then update their folders when I know they have updated HL to the same version I am currently using.
This is all built in already. Its called "Third Party Updates" and its the same thing that I use for the community.

In your case you can use the URL's from Dropbox to do it instead. When you release a new version to dropbox each person will get an update from HL saying a new version is out. They then download and install your new version.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:08 PM
Shadow:

I was hoping the new Beta would do that.

I haven't had my players upgrade to the Beta so I have to be careful what updates I send them because I am pretty sure that unless they have the Beta anything I do involving Extend Thing isn't goign to work.

As to using the Third Party Updates with Dropbox, do you have any links to sites explaining how to set that up? It would be wonderful.

BTW, when did HL get a 5th license?? I missed that bit of info . . .

Mergon is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:14 PM
Shadow, Shadow, Shadow . . . <cry>

I just went to the License site intending to pick up anotehr license, and it'll only let me have the original 2 that came with HL and the 2 I have already purchased. . . .

Mergon is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:16 PM
So go ahead and make a liar out of me I went into the license site a different way and it now shows an extra license for purchase . . .

Mergon is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Shadow, Shadow, Shadow . . . <cry>

I just went to the License site intending to pick up anotehr license, and it'll only let me have the original 2 that came with HL and the 2 I have already purchased. . . .
That could be a bug as I know its suppose to let you have 5. I have 5 in use and I am just a normal user like everyone else when it comes to licenses.

They increased the number after the iPad app came out. HERE is the link to the website where it clearly says "5".

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:18 PM
See above your last post.

Mergon is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:19 PM
Quote:
As to using the Third Party Updates with Dropbox, do you have any links to sites explaining how to set that up? It would be wonderful.
Not really. This would be better to take over to the 5e boards and out of this thread....

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old April 2nd, 2016, 01:24 PM
Hero Lab is awesome.

The community is immense and very helpful.

You can play a ton of different games, and utilize Hero Lab for them.
In the past, they have asked for games that we would like to have Hero Lab support for, but do not currently have it; so if there is enough interest, it can expand for other games.

With the editor, you can input yourself a lot of the books, if you're willing to use your own 'elbow grease' and time.
Or you can purchase a data package, which is simple and already done, and comes with a great degree of support too.
Also, the Community Package has some third party supplements that are completely free, because members of the Hero Lab community donate their own time for the benefit of others; the Hero Lab experience is amazing.
Several third party publishers also have their own Hero Lab support; I have the Spheres of Power, 1,001 Spells, and FrogGodGames materials. The monthly newsletter inspired my contribution to a Cthulu style kickstarter, which while an interesting tool/option for my game, was primarily contributed to because it will have Hero Lab support, so I can use it seamlessly and easily within my games.

I'm the main Dungeon Master/Game Master for our group. A former player, used to be the DM/GM for alternate campaigns with myself, but he doesn't play any longer. Another current player has been (and is, for another group) a DM/GM too.
For characters in my game, I require the character to be Hero Lab legal, because I know the validation checks that things stack correctly. I build a copy of everyone's character (over the phone) on my desktop, and transfer that to my laptop which comes with me to our sessions. Two licenses are perfect for me.
Two of the players within my group have both downloaded the free version of Hero Lab, primarily from seeing what benefits I get out of it at our sessions; one of those players is planning on upgrading to their own license while the other just likes to build characters, but is not willing to fork over money at this time.
Another player in my group regularly calls me, because he wants build ideas and knows that I can type in 'Initiative' in the trait section and have Hero Lab list sixteen (I'm picking an arbitrary number here) traits that include that keyword... or he wants to know which archetypes a Barbarian can take, assuming they already have Urban... I can tell this player too, will be purchasing their own copy in the future.

The program is amazing, and that's not even getting into the editor aspect of it. With the editor you can do your own stuff, and all of the knowledge or editor-fu is available as a free resource and experimentation on your part. Building a world can be as fun as playing the world, and I suspect the editor is along those lines too.

While I won't necessarily use every aspect of the Pathfinder packages in my game, it's nice to have the full database available. I greatly enjoy the Hero Lab experience, and the purchase of all of the data packages essentially puts my money towards supporting a product I enjoy and wish to continue enjoying in the future.
Ualaa is offline   #20 Reply With Quote