Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

jalonis

Old July 1st, 2018, 07:33 PM
I have downloaded the custom scripts, and was able to switch to beast handler to get my Ranger companion ability. However, there seems to be quite a few of the 1/4 or 1/2 CR companions missing from the list that is allowed. Is there a way to edit this list?

I have a pseudodragon as a companion, and it is not a choice in 5e, had no issues in 3.5 and pathfinder, but, 5e eludes functionality unfortunately. The monster list for selecting definitely has the pseudodragon listed as a choice.

Would appreciate any help or insight on how to fix this. Thanks!
jalonis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:15 PM
Well, according to the 5e rules the beast master animal companion has to be of the Beast subtype - the psuedodragon is a Dragon subtype.

So you would have to find and change the Ranger's Companion companion type and find the line that reads

searchexpr = "((hasbootstrap:tpBeast) & (RaceSize.Tiny12 | RaceSize.Small11 | RaceSize.Medium0) & !SwarmSize.? & (fieldval:rCR < 1))" & excrace

and change (hasbootstrap:tpBeast) to (hasbootstrap:tpBeast|hasbootstrap:tpDragon)

to allow your beastmaster to have a dragon companion.

The main problem is if you touch this code you'll have to keep a copy of the change and reapply it every time the community files get an update as this file will get overwritten every time. Or you'll have to copy the Beastmaster and make copies of the Ranger's Companion with the changes you want.

You can also try to copy the Animal Companion adjustment code and let it allow you a Dragon companon. Normally the companions like pseudodragon, homonculus and others break the SRD rules so much that it's almost easier to add a NPC to your portfolio as a standalone character and add adjustments to it.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jalonis

Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:51 PM
Thanks again for the help! I finally found the file, only took a few hours, since grep, which I had to find a windows version, could not find it in the files, so I had to manually load all the files one by one until I found it.

I got it to work, thanks again!!!
jalonis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote