Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MaxSupernova

Old October 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM
The new upgrade functionality is great.

Self-downloading from within the program, and automatically closing and restarting the running program make things much simpler and more convenient.

It's the little things, right?

Thanks!
MaxSupernova is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old October 8th, 2014, 10:08 AM
that's awesome! I've been waiting for that to get implemented. Very happy!
Pollution is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
The new upgrade functionality is great.

It's the little things, right?

Thanks!
Yep.... as the oyster would say it all starts with those annoying little things.... then something beautiful happens.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old October 8th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Except after I used it, I started getting a database error code -500 when I tried to sync. Have sent in bug report and database, now just waiting to hear if there is a solution. patiently waiting .. .. .. patiently .. .. :-)
GThiel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old November 7th, 2014, 01:19 PM
What happened to this functionality?

The last two upgrades have sent me to the web page to download, and then I have to run the installer as ADMIN in order to get it to work.
MaxSupernova is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old November 19th, 2014, 08:21 AM
And again with the new version.

Are we going to see the nicer installer back again?
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ChillBro Baggins

Old November 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I personally hated the "new" installer - I want control of where these files get downloaded, and I want to choose when to run them.

I HATE it when my machine starts doing things that I want control of.
ChillBro Baggins is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 8th, 2014, 04:18 AM
To the best of my knowledge, we never actually changed anything. Nothing changed when you got the "new" behavior. Nothing changed when it returned to the "old" behavior. Could you please elaborate on exactly how the behavior changed in both instances?

Once I know exactly what changed from your experience of the installer, we can look into what could possibly explain that on our end. At the moment, this is quite perplexing.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 8th, 2014, 05:05 AM
For a couple of versions, if the Realm Works Launcher told you there was a new version and you told it to install the new one, RW would download the installer to a temp folder and run it for you. Then it switched back to the old behavior, where it opens the download URL in your default web browser (resulting in the browser either starting the download or prompting you to save the file) and you had to launch the installer yourself.

Looking at where I have which installers: downloading via your default web browser happened for 1.0.1021, 1022, and 1023; RW did it itself again for 1024. I cleaned up a bunch of temp files a while ago so I don't have any older installers anymore, but for a long time (going back to when I first started using it) it downloaded via web browser, then for a bit it did it itself, then it switched back, and apparently 1023 did it itself again.

Last edited by Parody; December 8th, 2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Fixed in->for (since it's the previous version doing the downloading).
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 8th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I think the problem is this:

We have one mechanism to indicate a new version is REQUIRED to communicate to the server. This mechanism is done by setting a minimum version on the server and then it serves up a static URL to be used for downloading. This mechanism is then picked up on the client and shown on the launch dialog when you need to update to the latest version before you are able to login.

The other mechanism is triggered differently and doesn't happen on the Realm Works server but instead on another server. In that case, we indicate what is the latest version AND provide enough information there for the Realm Works client to know the specific URL to download it from. Realm Works client then checks this when you ask it to or automatically when you enter a realm. It then puts up the notification about the new version which you can click on and since it has enough information, it can automatically download and install.

Now, in the first case, you can choose to ignore it and then enter a realm or check for updates which then uses the second method which I believe is what you are liking.

What we ultimately need to do is consolidate these two methods so that it works the same either way and we have it as one of the things to tackle at some point.
davidp is offline   #10 Reply With Quote