Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Aardvark892

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I'd like to reset my purchased d20 set to default, due to an error in a third party package that screwed up the PC races. If I delete the d20 package from my HeroLab installation, can I reinstall it, and will it be unlocked as my original set was?

Can anyone walk me through this? I appreciate any assistance!

Tim
Aardvark892 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 10th, 2014, 10:23 AM
You can definitely re-install it. If you go to updates, you can select the d20 system and download it. Depending on how you installed the third-party package, you may also be able to uninstall it by going to Tools -> Manage Third-Party Updates in the menu. This may allow you to not have to remove the directory.

Incidentally, is the third party package the d20 community set? If so, can you tell me what the error is?
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aardvark892

Old September 11th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Sendric,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using Lawful_G's (I think that's what it's called) package. Generally I LOVE how much content is available...seems like every book. The error I'm finding is that when I un-check all extra content, to get the character gen back to basically just the player's handbook, the Fire Genasi still appears as a player race. Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's the added source links as they appear in my install of HL:

1) www.shadowsoftware.net/herolab/d20/updates.xml
2) http://www.users.on.net/~martin.hami...ab/updates.xml (I'm pretty sure this one is for the West End games d6 system, specifically Star Wars d6, so it doesn't apply here)

I honestly don't remember exactly which of these sources were responsible for this problem. Is there a way to hand edit that particular race so that it won't appear above the "custom race" list, in the first section where all the "stock" races are?

Again, thanks for your help!

Tim

Last edited by Aardvark892; September 11th, 2014 at 09:16 PM.
Aardvark892 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 12th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Ok, there are a couple of things going on here.

1) The Fire Genasi is not sourced. It is contained in the file FR - Monsters of Faerun. If you open this file in the editor and source this entry to "Monsters of Faerun" and "Races of Faerun" it will no longer show up in your list of available races when no sources are selected. I have made this change for the upcoming release.

2) The reason it is appearing above "Custom Race" in the entry is because it is tagged as a normal race. This may or may not be correct, and is something that needs to be investigated. Currently, I believe the d20 system has three racetype options: normal, extra, npc. The extra and npc types appear below the custom race divider, but are not separated further. This is something I intend to take a closer look at.

Thank you for the report.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aardvark892

Old September 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Sendric,

Thanks for this info. When you say you have made the change for the next release... is this an official HL release (new version) or an update to the sourced info, i.e. the shadowsoftware.net source? I do not know how to make changes in the editor... I'll look around the forums for info on how to make that change. Thank you!

Tim

EDIT: Just to check it out, I opened the editor, and opened the d20 package, found the Fire Genasi under the "Race" tab, and changed it to an NPC race (just a guess.. I wasn't quite sure exactly which one to pick, but NPC sounded like the best bet). I like the editor! Very intuitive...

Last edited by Aardvark892; September 14th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Aardvark892 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 15th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark892 View Post
Sendric,

Thanks for this info. When you say you have made the change for the next release... is this an official HL release (new version) or an update to the sourced info, i.e. the shadowsoftware.net source? I do not know how to make changes in the editor... I'll look around the forums for info on how to make that change. Thank you!

Tim

EDIT: Just to check it out, I opened the editor, and opened the d20 package, found the Fire Genasi under the "Race" tab, and changed it to an NPC race (just a guess.. I wasn't quite sure exactly which one to pick, but NPC sounded like the best bet). I like the editor! Very intuitive...
Hi Tim,

I took over the lawfulg data set a little while ago (the same one you download from shadowsoftware.net), so when I say I made the change, I mean that the next time you update this set, the changes will appear. I have not yet made this an NPC race, but that may happen. However, that's something that will require looking into all races in the community set, so its no small task. That said, the sources for this race have been updated, so it won't appear unless you check the source in your configure window.

For more information on what changes to expect in the next release, check out the first item in this thread: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=20757. This first item is always changing as its how I keep track of upcoming changes and what still needs to be done.

PS This community set is done by the community, and not LW, so there is nothing official about it.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote