Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

catdragon

Old December 1st, 2010, 03:46 AM
That title probably doesn't make sense...

What i am trying to do is copy an existing element, modify it, and then save it as a new element. In this example, i want to take the druid's snake shaman template, modify it for a home brew dinosaur shaman and then save it again.

But I can't figure out how. And the documentation of the Authoring Kit isn't helping.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Bobby
The cat.Dragon
<bobby.catdragon@gmail.com>
catdragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old December 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
If what you're re-making isn't open content, you can't copy/modify/resave.

You'll have to open a copy of the original and transfer the material manually to a New (Blank) version of whatever you're trying to make - basically recreate it using the original as a guide.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
catdragon

Old December 1st, 2010, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
If what you're re-making isn't open content, you can't copy/modify/resave.

You'll have to open a copy of the original and transfer the material manually to a New (Blank) version of whatever you're trying to make - basically recreate it using the original as a guide.
Got that. Understand that even. And I agree with it.

The question then becomes how do i find the original material? Do i open it in the editor, copy what i can manually to a blank sheet of paper, and the retype everything in?
catdragon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 1st, 2010, 05:27 AM
to find the original content in PF, you open the editor, select the tab related to the item you are looing for, such as spell for spells, click the copy(new) button on the bottom left. you will then see the listing of the original content and you can elect anything you like.

you do need to save it as something else though, you cant change the original content.

hope this helps.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
catdragon

Old December 1st, 2010, 05:50 AM
When I try to change anything i get the msg "Warning! This thing is defined as part of a supplement and can not be copied, saved, or duplicated..."

So how do i save it to a different thing so i can then modify it to my desires?
catdragon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:01 AM
Copy and paste. Do new (copy) to open up a file you want to see, and new (blank) to open a new thing. Then copy and paste whatever material you need from the copy to the blank thing.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:03 AM
Right. For Non-OGL content (basically anything non-Core) I usually open two instances of HL, open the editor in each instance. I use one to make my new thing, the other to look at the original. It can get a little hairy if I'm tired and forget which one is which , but it usually works well for me.

It's basically the same as your pen and paper idea, but it saves the handwriting and the paper.

NINJA'd by Sendric! Only his way is better 'cause it saves a step or two (opening the two instances of HL).

Last edited by Maidhc O Casain; December 1st, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
NINJA'd by Sendric! Only his way is better 'cause it saves a step or two (opening the two instances of HL).
ROFL. I even re-loaded the page to make sure I wasn't stomping on anyone. Your way works, too. Sometimes I find two instances of HL is easier to keep things straight, but other times I just want the one instance. It's also easier to compare things when you can look at them side by side as you can with two instances.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
catdragon

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM
Cool. Thanks for all the help. I got my Dinosaur Shaman going and just polishing the result now.
catdragon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote