Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

brennan998

Old September 17th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Hello!

While I was a GenCon, I bought a copy of Realm Works. One of the things I was shown on the 10 cent tour of the program was a very robust Rise of the Runelords. Is that file available? I was hoping to take a look at it as a tutorial file since it had a great deal more depth then the simple tutorial realm that comes bundled in.

Thanks!
brennan998 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
filnari

Old September 17th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Last I saw, they were still in talks with Paizo for licensing, etc. Since I'm running this campaign right now (in Book 3), I would love to have this file when it becomes available too, but we have to wait for all the legal wrangling to happen.
filnari is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Hey Rob,

We know the first talks of licensing started at the end of Paizocon 2014. Can we get an update as to what has happened in the last two and a half months?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan998 View Post
Hello!

While I was a GenCon, I bought a copy of Realm Works. One of the things I was shown on the 10 cent tour of the program was a very robust Rise of the Runelords. Is that file available? I was hoping to take a look at it as a tutorial file since it had a great deal more depth then the simple tutorial realm that comes bundled in.

Thanks!
As filnari alluded to, we'd need a license from Paizo to make their content available to our users in any format. We're in discussions with them, but nothing is formally announced. If you haven't already, check out our Tutorial series on YouTube. We've had a lot of positive feedback from users on the videos when it comes to first approaching Realm Works. Asking questions about approaches and styles is another option I'd advise for any new user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
Hey Rob,

We know the first talks of licensing started at the end of Paizocon 2014. Can we get an update as to what has happened in the last two and a half months?
I'm not Rob, but I'll pipe in. We talked to Paizo at Gen Con as well, and we're still in discussions. However, I'll be honest and say that we can't really share beyond "we're talking with them" until something is or is not signed. We're still optimistic that it will be the former of the two options, but nothing's official until something is signed.

Last edited by liz; September 17th, 2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added more info.
liz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Jaynay27

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I have a question that may not be specifically related, but at least in the same ballpark - Has there been any further news on the input/availability of the (PF) OGL rules within RW?

I know I have brought this up before and the indication was that this was likely to happen. Given these rules are freely available elsewhere and covered by the OGL itself I would assume (perhaps incorrectly?) that the inclusion of these rules does not require an agreement with Paizo? Is there any update you can give?

Cheers
Jaynay27 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 18th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Is there any reason the community could not do the PF OGL entry? Once marketplace is set up, we should be able to share material. If we could organize a group that decides on standard presentation and integration, that would be really spiffy. Volunteer for entering a section and then have one person merge it all together. Edits and updates could be discussed in the forums.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 18th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Are adventure Paths released as OGL? I only thought rules were?

So yes we could have a community updated PF rules, like Shadow has done with HL, as long as there was no charge for the material, but I believe Adventures and the like are not OGL, much like the campaign setting, it uses the OGL released rules but essentially the game world is IP not open.
Exmortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Jaynay27

Old September 18th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Is there any reason the community could not do the PF OGL entry? Once marketplace is set up, we should be able to share material. If we could organize a group that decides on standard presentation and integration, that would be really spiffy. Volunteer for entering a section and then have one person merge it all together. Edits and updates could be discussed in the forums.
I tried to gauge interest in that some time ago and there was some interest, but Rob chimed in at the time and said something to the effect of 'your time would be better spent entering campaign data' hinting at there being some sort of 'official' version of the PF rules in the future.

*Edit* here is the post from a different thread.

Last edited by Jaynay27; September 18th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Jaynay27 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 18th, 2014, 12:55 PM
@Jayjay27: I thought I'd read something like that before. It's all becoming a blur. While the official version may cost a few dollars, it will be consistent and everyone is working from the same ruleset. I'll sit tight and see what Santa brings me.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 18th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Are adventure Paths released as OGL? I only thought rules were?

So yes we could have a community updated PF rules, like Shadow has done with HL, as long as there was no charge for the material, but I believe Adventures and the like are not OGL, much like the campaign setting, it uses the OGL released rules but essentially the game world is IP not open.
I can release the rules as that is bound to OGL and allowed. The adventure itself is not covered by OGL and is 100% copy right protected as IP. So in example the Community Bestiary supplies Encounter Files for an adventure. Really I should not be using the "Real" name of a NPC as that is IP. But its so small its not noticed. And you can't run say RotRL (Rise of the Runelords) adventure from the encounter files I provide.

But RW will be giving away "everything" you would need to run RotRL. That is wrong and theft. No different if you copy/pasted all of the RotRL text from the pdf into a word document and started sharing it with everyone.

With a "license" in place with restrictions then RW maybe allowed to share the adventure stuff.

That is what I understand of stuff at least for Paizo.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote