Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

DannyBoy2k

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM
Now, I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, and I'm just missing it...but I HAVE looked.
How do I set the starting value for an attribute? For instance, the D20 files start at 10.
And, in the same vein, how do I actually SET a minimum value? While I've changed it to 3, it still insists that 1 is the minimum, and that is also where it starts.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:51 PM
Is this for a new game system you're writing, or for one of the existing game systems?

The User Projects forum is for coordinating projects, and announcing things about your projects. If you post here, it doesn't tell us what context your question is in, so the answer can vary greatly depending on context.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Is this for a new game system you're writing, or for one of the existing game systems?

The User Projects forum is for coordinating projects, and announcing things about your projects. If you post here, it doesn't tell us what context your question is in, so the answer can vary greatly depending on context.
It's an ATTEMPT at a new one. Though how good of an attempt, who knows.
So, the question should be placed under Authoring Kit, then?

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Ok, we'll try it HERE...and hope that my brain gets better...

Anyways...as said, I'm trying to figure out something, to wit how to put in a higher starting value for the attributes in my own little attempted project. Now, similarly to the D20 system, they have a minimum value of 3...and I would like to put in a starting value, again similar to the D20, of 10. This may change, depending on how it goes, but there it is.
So, I've found the minimum/maximum values, but no way of setting a starting value, as it were. And I HAVE looked. So, anyone with any help?

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Here's the wiki page about how to define a field - defvalue is what you're looking for:

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Element_(Data)

Last edited by Mathias; May 21st, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 21st, 2013, 01:48 PM
Errr....ok, maybe I missed something, or that page has been changed? But that was an empty page.

Ok, that was interesting. The link is, apperently, complete. But the browser ignores that last parenthesis. Anyways, got it now, thanks!

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!

Last edited by DannyBoy2k; May 21st, 2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Weirdness
DannyBoy2k is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2013, 01:57 PM
I think I now have the link working (although you figured out where the error was - the link autodetection on this forum ignores ending close parentheses).
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'm sure what you linked me to is really marvelous, Mathias...but I can't figure it out.
Ah, well, I'm sure I'll make something out of it, sooner or later.
As an aside, why is there a 'minimum value' for the attributes, when it ignores that setting utterly? No matter what I set that value to, it still insist on 1 being the lowest value.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
As an aside, why is there a 'minimum value' for the attributes, when it ignores that setting utterly? No matter what I set that value to, it still insist on 1 being the lowest value.
I'd need to see exactly how you set up your field to diagnose this. Could you copy it, please?
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I'd need to see exactly how you set up your field to diagnose this. Could you copy it, please?
Oh, I have fixed THAT...just very interesting that there is a field in the editor where you can, basically set whatever you want. And it will quite blissfully ignore it.
Not that I used the editor, I hasten to add, but...

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #10 Reply With Quote