Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Patrakis

Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:52 AM
One of the coolest and useful thing i can think of is a weather generator for Realm Works. We had it in DM Genie and it was immensely useful. We tend to forget how weather influence daily lives and i consider it very important in my campaigns also. It can influence the adventures we play in so many ways.

Anyway, i place this number one on MY list of priorities. I hope you'll give it a thought on YOUR next priorities of development.

Thanks

Pat
Patrakis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:15 AM
totally don't agree, a weather generator is a seriously complex instrument. And if you simplify it, it's useless. It should be a separate product, I'm still waiting (it's been years) for someone to come up with a good one. WeatherMaster was the best one I'd ever found, and it's been unavailable for years as it only works with VB6 and WinXP and the license generator is no longer in business.

Best tip I ever found: grab an old Farmer's Almanac, use it to provide the weather forecast based on the similarity of your geographic area to a comparable earth location.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons View Post
Best tip I ever found: grab an old Farmer's Almanac, use it to provide the weather forecast based on the similarity of your geographic area to a comparable earth location.
Thats brilliant!
Exmortis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:18 AM
It shouldn't be too tough to rig up an random generator for that rather than having it hardcoded into RW, where it will only be relevant for some players.

My old meteorology prof used to say he'd bet on the weather with anyone. His bet would always be that tomorrow will be pretty much the same as today, and he'd be right far more than half of the time.

So, you should be able to set up a generator that will take today and most of the time tomorrow will be the same as today except for a minor change. Those changes will slowly snowball into larger changes over time. There would be a chance that a large change would happen, like a storm, but that will likely change back to the way the weather was before the storm in a day or two.

The next layer would be to add seasonal change tendencies over longer periods, but that shouldn't be too tough either.

So, scripting gurus with time on your hands....
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote