Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

DannyBoy2k

Old May 8th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Yes...am I missing something obvious about the above?

I am reading through the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and as far as I can tell, HL is giving me a bonus to the power points for some unfathomable reason?

Now, I know there is a diffrence between the books and the OGL stuff, but I don't think there should be a diffrence there? With all stats at 10, so that I shouldn't get any bonus points, I still have 'too many' from level one, and it climbs quickly, too.

This seems to be inherant in the program, as my Swordsage, which is based on Psionics, but uses an entirely diffrent list of points at various levels, also receive these bonus points.

So, am I being blind or am I missing something?

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 9th, 2013, 06:32 AM
You'll have to explain more what you are seeing. What class? What level? etc.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
You'll have to explain more what you are seeing. What class? What level? etc.
All psion classes and my own Swordsage. The psions should, according to the rulebook, have 2 power-points at the first level, not counting pontential bonus points. All that I've tried start out with 3. The same with the Swordsage, where I've replaces 'readied maneuvers' with power points, and they should have 4, but do have 5.

The amount of power points in excess of what should be quickly rises too, for no apperent reason. Having checked the 'built-in' psionic classes, they shouldn't have these points as far as I can tell, the progression being the same as that in the handbook(s), making me wonder if I either missed something or if this is something coming from deeper in the program.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 10th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Ok, I had to do some digging cause this sparked a vague memory. I posted a bug way back in 2010 about this. Here's what I said:

Quote:
Bonus power points are being applied to Psionic classes when their main attribute is 11 or below. For instance, if you select Wilder as your class, the attribute that determines bonus points is Charisma. If your Charisma is 11 or below, there is a bonus power point (bringing the total to 3). At 12 and 13, there are no bonus points (which is correct) and the total drops to 2, and from there on up it seems to be correct.
I can take a look at trying to put in a work around for this.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Having looked at the psi-classes a little, I've come to a curious conclusion. My home-made Swordsage, which uses power points in place of maneuvers, get one extra power-point, no matter the level of the character. Should have 4 at the start, has 5, should have 20 at the end, has 21, the end noted as level 20, of course.

This is, of itself, peculiar.

However, the REAL psionic classes seems to get a climbing amount. The Psion and Wilder should have 2, at level 1, and gets 3. At the end, they should have 343 points, but get 352. That's 9 too many.
Psychic Warriors should have 0 and 127, and get 1 and 133, making it 6 too many.

Interestingly enough, if you add enough of its bonus attribute to give it 1 mod-point, they correct themselves. At that point, they should have 10 more than the 'proper' number of points, and they do, 353 and 137.

The problem occurs in prestige classes, the ones that use power points, too.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
Having looked at the psi-classes a little, I've come to a curious conclusion. My home-made Swordsage, which uses power points in place of maneuvers, get one extra power-point, no matter the level of the character. Should have 4 at the start, has 5, should have 20 at the end, has 21, the end noted as level 20, of course.

This is, of itself, peculiar.

However, the REAL psionic classes seems to get a climbing amount. The Psion and Wilder should have 2, at level 1, and gets 3. At the end, they should have 343 points, but get 352. That's 9 too many.
Psychic Warriors should have 0 and 127, and get 1 and 133, making it 6 too many.

Interestingly enough, if you add enough of its bonus attribute to give it 1 mod-point, they correct themselves. At that point, they should have 10 more than the 'proper' number of points, and they do, 353 and 137.

The problem occurs in prestige classes, the ones that use power points, too.
Yes, I think what you are saying and I what I reported above is the same thing. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this from what I can tell is to modify each class individually. I could do that I suppose, but it wouldn't solve your problem. You should create an eval script on your class to reduce the power point total by the appropriate amount if the main attribute is below 12 (or possibly just 10 or 11, you may have to fiddle with it).

Edit: simply subtracting 1 doesn't work. There appears to some sort of weird calculations going on beneath the hood. I'll try to figure something out and will post here when I have something.

Last edited by Sendric; May 14th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Well, I can't figure this out. Simply subtracting 1 works at first level, but then for some reason it subtracts another 1 at second level, and every two levels after that. I have no idea why, but I can't figure out a way to fix this. Its going to have to be done by LW, but I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon. We could probably make an adjustment to manually correct it.
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 14th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah...I can't figure out ANYTHING...there seems to be some sort of formula, is the best I can figure...but how that formula WORKS, I don't get at all. And there is no obvious 'link' to where it might be hiding, so that's out too. I did find two separate class-linkings in the psion classes. The psion-link seems to go no-where that I can find, but it DOES fit in with the 'all psions are psions' idea, just variations on the base class as it were. And either way, that doesn't explain the OTHER classes. Just mental.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I tried a number of things, such as forcing the class power point totals, to modifying those points and modifying total character points. Whatever is happening is being done under the hood, probably in the same place where they calculate bonus power points based on ability score. Why its wrong for 11 and under, I don't know, and I have no idea how to fix it. Unless someone from LW can point us in the right direction, this might be a problem only they can fix.
Sendric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 14th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Let me take a look, and see if I can point you in the right direction.
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote