Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Fippy

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hello all,
I hate to post a newbie question, but I haven't found the answer searching the forums.

I'm trying to modify the xml files for d20 3.5 rules. I'm not using HAK, but going to the files directly, since I am familiar with XML.

So I'm in: \Application Data\Hero Lab\data\d20\source

I started by adding a simple item to srd_potions.dat, by simply copying an existing item, giving it a unique id field and changing the name and description.

When I reload HeroLab I don't see my new item. I even tried the menu items for Recompiling the data files and quick loading of the data files.

I'm sure I'm missing a very simply step to make my changes active, right?
Thanks!
Fippy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:23 AM
Many of the HL files are static and you cant change them. If you want to add new content, like through the editor, you need to create a new file first then ensure you add the correct deaders and such.

what are you trying to enter? it might be easier through the editor.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:11 AM
The files in the "Source" folder are *copies* of the actual source files used by Hero Lab for the d20 3.5 data files. They are provided to demonstrate how stuff works, but they aren't actually used. The actual files are in the folder immediately above and are built into the ".pkg" file. All files in the folder above are compiled together, so your user files must reside in the that folder - not the "source" folder. Also, if you want to edit the 3.5 data files, you generally need to utilize the built-in editor.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fippy

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Ah ok, so you are saying that files placed in the root directory (along with the .pkg files) will be picked up, like inherited classes? i.e. HeroLab looks for additional non-compiled files there?

HAK looked pretty complicated to me which is why my preference was to modify the files directly.

Should I use HAK to generate the skeleton for the additional files, with the headers you mentioned, and then edit the files by hand?

Thanks for the help, I'll probe around some more.
Fippy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:33 AM
Their is a difference between HAK and the editor. They are two different things. To make changes to 3.5 or Pathfinder you don't need HAK you need the editor.

To start the editor you go to Tools->Start Editor.... Then you create a new .user file that will have your changes or new Things you create.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
ya, sounds like the editor is what you want to use. Its an easy way to enter in custom information, like feats, spells, equipment, things like that.

if you want to build a whole new game system the the Authoring Kit is what you will need for that.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fippy

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
Ah, ok so that's the distinction. Thanks. Has anyone come up with a games system for the Framewerk rules, which I believe is what CthulhuTech is based upon?
Fippy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fippy

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. The editor was pretty straightforward and I got a bunch of new items created and adjusted some other things.

Kudos to Lone Wolf for allowing the ability to mod things.
Fippy is offline   #8 Reply With Quote