Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Fnordboy

Send a message via ICQ to Fnordboy

Old May 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I've been finding a little bit of difficulty with HL's implementation of money tracking, specifically with gems and jewelry. It's my players' common habit to sell their coinage for valuable gems to reduce encumbrance. But HL does not track gems, jewelry, or art as valuables. Any suggestions on how to get a good workaround?
Fnordboy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old May 13th, 2010, 05:14 AM
We use Bags of Holding.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:40 AM
The second item available for purchase on the gear tab is "- Custom Gear -". Purchase one of those, enter "Diamond" as the name, "500" as the price, and leave the weight blank.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fnordboy

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hmm, using your example... will the 500gp value of the Diamond be represented in the total money that the character owns?
Fnordboy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM
You can purchase the custom gear for whatever price you want to enter - that will make it subtract from your cash. That price won't be transfered to the final item however, so you'll have to enter it again - I've put that capability on my to-do list.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Haligon

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Entering gems/Valuables as new equipment into the editor is a pretty trivial task, and particularly worth the effort if you have wizards who need to keep track of expensive spell components (Diamonds, Onyx, Ruby Dust, etc).
Haligon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fnordboy

Old May 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
You can purchase the custom gear for whatever price you want to enter - that will make it subtract from your cash. That price won't be transfered to the final item however, so you'll have to enter it again - I've put that capability on my to-do list.
Hmm,
So using the following example: I have a character with 10k gp. He wants to reduce the encumbrance and make it easier to shop, so he purchases (10)1k gems. So I create 10 custom containers labeled "gem" and purchase them for 1k each. But here's the catch... Does HL know that these gems should output to my character's money?

On another note, it would be fabulous if the Money container could be selected and added multiple times, so that each instance of the Money tracker could be placed in a separate container, such as a safe, home, hero, bag of holding, etc...
Fnordboy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz

Old May 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordboy View Post
Hmm,
So using the following example: I have a character with 10k gp. He wants to reduce the encumbrance and make it easier to shop, so he purchases (10)1k gems. So I create 10 custom containers labeled "gem" and purchase them for 1k each. But here's the catch... Does HL know that these gems should output to my character's money?

On another note, it would be fabulous if the Money container could be selected and added multiple times, so that each instance of the Money tracker could be placed in a separate container, such as a safe, home, hero, bag of holding, etc...
Looking at it from a roleplaying perspective, it shouldn't count as money. Not all merchants will take gems as payment (since not all merchants could appraise the correctly and gems are easier to counterfeit than legal coin). The PCs may need to sell the gems before the go see their local blacksmith/items dealer.
Matt Droz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Fnordboy

Old May 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Droz View Post
Looking at it from a roleplaying perspective, it shouldn't count as money. Not all merchants will take gems as payment (since not all merchants could appraise the correctly and gems are easier to counterfeit than legal coin). The PCs may need to sell the gems before the go see their local blacksmith/items dealer.
Hmm, good point, that! Except it's still frustrating not knowing at a glance at what my approximate "liquid" assets may be.
Fnordboy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Hmm,
No, HL doesn't know those are cash.

If you want to simply avoid the encumbrance from cash, there's a "No Coin Weight" option among the optional rules.

On the purchase dialog, note the "Number to Add" and "Stack" options - once you've selected "-Custom Gear-" as the thing you're going to purchase, switch the "Stacking Behavior" to "Add New Stack" and the "Number to Add" to 10 - that way you don't have to retype "Diamond" 10 times.

Quote:
This would not be fabulous to program, I'm afraid. The money container isn't actually where the money is recorded - its only function is to look up the cash that's recorded on the Hero and report it to the user. Changing the entire mechanism for how the character's cash value is recorded in the files would be quite a lot of work.

Then, you'll run into other problems - what if a character wants to purchase something, spending 500gp from their bank supply and 500gp from their cash on hand - how does the purchase dialog ask the user to set that?
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote