Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

DaddyDragon

Old August 11th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Set the global settings for font type and size?

I had been using the default, but my players complain that they cannot read it on the big screen.

Thanks in advance.
DaddyDragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 11th, 2015, 10:05 PM
At the moment the font for Player View itself can not be changed.

You can write your snippets in a large font that works well in Player View, but not so well in RW itself.

I believe it is one of those things that are on the to-do list at LW.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old August 12th, 2015, 12:06 AM
What are you using for a big screen?

I used my TV during my last game, and I found that I had to set the resolution for the screen the lowest (or was it highest?) possible for the players to be able to read it properly. If you're using something similar, play with the resolution settings and see what happens.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 12th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Yes, that should work.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DaddyDragon

Old August 12th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I believe it is one of those things that are on the to-do list at LW.
Thanks, Vargr. That's what I was afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
What are you using for a big screen?

I used my TV during my last game, and I found that I had to set the resolution for the screen the lowest (or was it highest?) possible for the players to be able to read it properly. If you're using something similar, play with the resolution settings and see what happens.
Lexin, I'm using a 52" Panasonic. I've got the resolution set right, but I need it to be readable from anywhere in the game room (which is actually just my living room, but I'm putting on airs), and some of us don't have the eyes we had 25 years ago.
DaddyDragon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I believe what Lexin was getting at is that if you lower the output of your laptop/computer on the port that is hooked up to the 52" Panasonic from 1080P to 720P the big screen may stretch it out so that it fits the big screen making the font look bigger. That's the gist of what I've read in other threads where people were trying to do this anyway.

There may be a setting in you TV you have to set to stretch to fit the screen though.
Viking2054 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old August 13th, 2015, 01:17 AM
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for any confusion, I'm not at all technical, so I'm not good at explaining things like that.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old August 13th, 2015, 04:44 AM
I've been pointing this out since RW was released.

If you display on a TV, instead of doing 1080 for your resolution, change it to 720 (under windows, not the TV, that would be weird). It looks sharper for text anyway.

If you have a second monitor, Drop it to the next recommended setting.

For example, I my work monitor is 1920x1080.
If I was using this one for Player view, I'd drop it to 1280x1024.
Failing that, I'd go down to 1024x768.

It's WAY better to do it this way, as the increased font size on your computer when inputting or editing things will drive you mad (it's too big and will actually hurt your head after an hour or so). A global setting would do the same, since your display and the player's display would both be increased, so you'd have huge text while running too.

Personally, I think there should be a big old TIP right on the player view screen for the GM to see that tells them to drop their Player View resolution. It would help a lot.

Additionally, Windows 10 now has a REALLY good font increase setting. From the Desktop, right click and select "Display Settings." Under Display, it's the first slider. "Change the size of text, apps, and other items: X%" where X is your current setting.

I put mine at 125% because I'm old and blind. For a Player view, I've been using 175%-200%. It works very well.
Pollution is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kylania

Old August 13th, 2015, 06:51 AM
The best solution would be for LWD to add in adjustable fonts size on the Player View. Or add in some quick and dirty zoom snippet frame option.

Telling people to drastically reduce their screen space just to be able to read a font is not really a good answer. Sure you're making things easier to read but you're also throwing away a huge portion of viewable area by essentially zooming in on only part of the screen.

The Windows 10 font size thing might work well actually, but can you apply that to only one monitor? It's a system setting so then you're reducing screen space for the GM side of things by making text larger because there's no adjustable font for Player View again...
kylania is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old August 13th, 2015, 02:16 PM
We are talking about a "Work Around" though since the feature that would allow us to customize fonts on different monitors of the same computer is fairly low on the priority list of things to do in regards to Realm Works. So, for now anyway, the two solutions are Windows 10's accessibility feature or else setting the screen size on the players view monitor to a lower setting. Anything else may find you waiting several months if not a year or more. LWD does have it's priority list after all and I don't even remember this being mentioned at the time.
Viking2054 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote