Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Zogg

Old December 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I got bored and started playing around with how I'd like to see the individual character reveal handled and thought I'd share my ideas.

In Example 1, clicking on a snippet (in this example, the last snippet shown) brings up the popup shown. Choosing either Hidden from All or Revealed to All will have exactly the same result as the current on/off options. Choosing Revealed to Some will bring up a second popup, which brings us to Example 2.

Since I have multiple players in multiple (play by email) games in the same setting, I'd like to be able to easily distinguish between the groups of PCs. This would require a container for adventure groups. In this example, I've only revealed the snippet to one PC in my west coast game.

And in Example 3, we see that hovering the cursor over a yellow snippet bullet shows which PCs have this information (I probably should have added 'click to change reveal status' to the top of this popup).

The end result is that at a glance I know that all my PCs are aware of Khazamon and know that he is an adult human male. I know that some of my PCs know a bit more, and by hovering over the yellow bullets, I can see that Pundgy and Matador are aware that Khazamon is a wizard, and that only Pundgy is aware that he is an advisor to Duke Reginald.

Am I close to what is being planned?
Attached Images
File Type: png Example1.png (55.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: png Example2.png (63.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: png Example3.png (49.8 KB, 48 views)
Zogg is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 8th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I got bored and started playing around with how I'd like to see the individual character reveal handled and thought I'd share my ideas.

In Example 1, clicking on a snippet (in this example, the last snippet shown) brings up the popup shown. Choosing either Hidden from All or Revealed to All will have exactly the same result as the current on/off options. Choosing Revealed to Some will bring up a second popup, which brings us to Example 2.

Since I have multiple players in multiple (play by email) games in the same setting, I'd like to be able to easily distinguish between the groups of PCs. This would require a container for adventure groups. In this example, I've only revealed the snippet to one PC in my west coast game.

And in Example 3, we see that hovering the cursor over a yellow snippet bullet shows which PCs have this information (I probably should have added 'click to change reveal status' to the top of this popup).

The end result is that at a glance I know that all my PCs are aware of Khazamon and know that he is an adult human male. I know that some of my PCs know a bit more, and by hovering over the yellow bullets, I can see that Pundgy and Matador are aware that Khazamon is a wizard, and that only Pundgy is aware that he is an advisor to Duke Reginald.

Am I close to what is being planned?
Zogg, I like how you think!!! seems straight forward & follows the base template LWD has already in place.

I would presume this would also cascade into the reveal log the same way with the same color coding and perhaps a tag as to who received info?
Though, thinking, this piece would also have to contain a similar "filter" from the player side so as not to prematurely reveal partial content by color thus tipping off the player that some other info is still present but unknown.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
McGray

Old December 9th, 2014, 02:17 AM
+1

I second that approach! I like the idea and the integration along the current design of RW. But as with a lot of other situations, players should not be able to see, what information is only partially revealed.

One "downside" of RW is the fact, that once something is revealed, its never forgotten any more. Transparency is nice, but sometimes its also nice and important that players interact with each other to synchronize what they know and what not.

With my last game with a very complex background, nearly no fact was equally know to all players. One player noted down the name of a major NPC, while all others did not and remembered only "a woman".

So with the above suggested solution, no player should see the reveal indicator at all. Thus, each player would see different parts of the picture, leaving room for discussion, information exchange etc. between the players. Sometimes they do not all pull in the same direction and there will be situations where a player may want to "use" an information that is only known to himself to his advantage, even against his fellow players...

Edit: just checked playere view in RW and there is currently no color indicator as in GW mode to reveal the reveal state to the player. So I would assume that if such reveal systems as suggested above would be integrated, it would also not be visible for the players, showing only the revealed snippet, but not its "reveal state".

Last edited by McGray; December 9th, 2014 at 02:21 AM. Reason: checked something in RW :)
McGray is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 9th, 2014, 03:43 AM
I'm probably pipe-dreaming, here, but some of this perhaps falls under player-defined snippets.

My players are pretty terrible at remembering names (usually people, but places, too). They each have their own way of remembering (usually in very vague terms) who people are.

In this pipe-dream of mine, the players will be able to define their own aliases for topics, and view a list of the aliases they've created, to link through to the "real" topic, but with the topic name replaced by their alias in their own view.

To be quite honest, I think that's probably not worth the effort, and player-defined aliases which function just like normal aliases would be a better solution, though it simplifies things for players by allowing them to easily find the real name of topics using their alias. Which probably isn't a bad thing, since I get a bit frustrated by "let's go ask thingumybob. You know, whatshisname, the fat guy, from that place. The one with the lisp. Who told us about that woman. Shibblewibble, or whatever it was."

My players aren't exactly into deep immersion.
Chemlak is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 9th, 2014, 05:33 AM
"That guy" is a pretty popular name in many campaigns. ;)

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old December 9th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Character names:

Bryony
Noldim mac Nalfyr
Luminryl
Matador
Willard the Adventuring Hero

There's one in every group of players, isn't there?
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I thought "that Guy" was canon?

Through the years I have tried to alleviate "TG" by utilizing an extensive amount of mini's ... That has had mixed results. Some players are visually attuned and thus remember the NPC of monster name details etc.... while others simply now say "I RECOGNIZE THAT GUY" or "Do I recognize that guy?"when the mini is placed on the table .... [insert face palm emocon here]

@Maxsupernova "character names"--- Yep!!! even Gygax also had Melf... because the player couldn't couldn't think of a name so he combined the two boxes (that were then on top of the character sheet) Male & Elf (gender / race)

@ Mccray
Quote:
Edit: just checked playere view in RW and there is currently no color indicator as in GW mode to reveal the reveal state to the player. So I would assume that if such reveal systems as suggested above would be integrated, it would also not be visible for the players, showing only the revealed snippet, but not its "reveal state".
Ah good to know... wondered about that, thanks for followup!

@LWD
+1 in case there is a filter looking for this when compiling a list. (forgot to deploy when commenting LATE last night at airport)
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Zogg

Old December 12th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Yes, the revealed snippets absolutely should not show in Player View their "reveal state".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
"let's go ask thingumybob. You know, whatshisname, the fat guy, from that place. The one with the lisp. Who told us about that woman. Shibblewibble, or whatever it was."
LOL. Shibblewibble killed me.

I like the idea of player-defined aliases. I too have players that have trouble with details. Actually, my players run the gamut of immersion, all the way from one guy who 'lives in the moment' (rarely remembers any details about previous sessions) to another guy who is even more detail-oriented than I am (which I didn't think was possible).

"That guy" is absolutely canon. And as for Willard, he started out as a nondescript Fighter NPC, who was played by a succession of visiting players and oddly developed more personality than many of the PCs in the games I've run over the years.
Zogg is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 12th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
"That guy" is a pretty popular name in many campaigns. ;)
So true so true! This to me is what RW will remove, and enhance game play by players always knowing the info that has been given to them. As stated this does remove the ideals that some may rememebr and others will not, but for my 30ish years at the gaming table, its rarely about who remembers what, but how long it takes the GM to look back in the game notes/module/story/book/etc to find the info.

I also love the OPs idea, really really cool. However it was mentioned about snippet color, would it not be cool if the GM could assign colors to players in the realm, say any that RW does not use now. And when you reveal a snippet to all, its green as it is now, but when it is revealed to a player(s) it shows a colored dot representing the color assigned to the player by the GM.

Example I assigned the following colors:

Player 1 = orange
Player 2 = brown
player 3 = pink (you know thats gonna lead to great jokes)

If I reveal a snippet to say player 1 it shows an orange dot.
If I reveal a snippet to player 2 and 3, it shows a brown and pink dot.

Also make it changable, so if player 1 shares the info to all, I can then go in and make it reveal to all, and a green dot.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 12th, 2014, 12:03 PM
@ Exmortis>
Interesting approach, on the surface would be easy to tell who got what (like that) as to the "pink" since I have 3 ladies at the table all preferring pink that would pose a different battle at my table.... :P

But am curious how you would handle "colorizations" for partial reveals, like 1/2 the party? its not one color, nor is it green? Maybe a predetermined partial?
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote