Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Tony.Gamemaster

Old December 4th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I'm creating a new adjustment for temporary hit points. I have a counter set up that will add the counter's total to the character's hit points. It's super-simple.

herofield[tCurrentHP].value += field[pAdjust].value

What I need to do is have the counter start a minimum of 0 and automatically max-out at whatever the character's total (not current) hit points are. For example: If a character has 10hp and they take 8hp of damage, and then they use this counter to add 10 temporary hit points, it needs to stop a 10hp (10/10) and not add the extra 2 (12/10).

Anyone know how I set this limitation?

As a side note, is it possible to have a counter automatically set itself to a value when it is checked off? I have the logic how it needs to calculate but absolutely no idea how it would be scripted.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.
Tony.Gamemaster is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 4th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I recommend describing the game rules you're trying to implement.

This sounds like a major hack that you're trying to accomplish, and there may be a better way to get to your overall goal, but without knowing what that goal is, I can't decide if there's a better way.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Tony.Gamemaster

Old December 4th, 2016, 03:41 PM
The mechanic I'm trying to implement is fairly straight-forward. When someone turns the counter on under "Other Adjustments", they should be able to add temporary hit points using the incremental/counter up to their maximum total.

That's really all I really need the counter to do (max out at the character's total HP).

------------------->

The side-note is a lot more complicated, and not at all necessary. Since the temporary hit points are calculated, it would be nice to have the adjustment counter automatically set to a calculated value instead of requiring the player to set the counter. The value would be one-quarter of the character's full hit point total (rounded down) or a number of hit points equal to their Constitution score, whichever is greater - not to exceed their hit point total. And when the counter is turned off, it would have to reset to this value next time it's turned on.

Basically, this is the second wind mechanic from Star Wars: Saga Edition that I'm adapting to Pathfinder. The only difference is, instead of healing damage, it's providing temporary hit points.

Again, not at all necessary.
Tony.Gamemaster is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 4th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Why not use a bootstrap of a temp HP pool, like in the False Life spell adjustment?
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Tony.Gamemaster

Old December 4th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I didn't know you could do that. This is all pretty new to me. I don't know how that works, but I'll check out False Life and see what I can come up with.
Tony.Gamemaster is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Tony.Gamemaster

Old December 4th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Actually, I can just make it really simple and just have them put in a Temporary Hit Point Pool on the In-Play tab. They'd only need to calculate it when they level up.

Edit: Actually, that doesn't solve the issue of it needing to max-out at their total hit-points. Ugh! And when the pool is added, the current total remains the same, so the penalties incurred by wound thresholds still applies.

Last edited by Tony.Gamemaster; December 4th, 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Tony.Gamemaster is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vanye111

Old December 5th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.Gamemaster View Post
Edit: Actually, that doesn't solve the issue of it needing to max-out at their total hit-points. Ugh! And when the pool is added, the current total remains the same, so the penalties incurred by wound thresholds still applies.
That would be because temporary hit points are actual healing, they're (basically) an ablative barrier that absorbs a set amount of damage before allowing the protected person to take any more damage. Any previous conditions still exist.
Vanye111 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote