Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bobifle

Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
On top of this if you let the cursor simply hover over the pin it has a text pop-up that tells you the pin's title
And if you're unlucky, in the middle of 20 pins on your map, you'll have to move the cursor over 19 pins before finding this damn MacGuffin location !
Bobifle is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobifle View Post
And if you're unlucky, in the middle of 20 pins on your map, you'll have to move the cursor over 19 pins before finding this damn MacGuffin location !
Then you are the unluckiest person on the planet. I always find it on the 2nd try. ALWAYS!

But yes labels would be nice sometime in the future....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; July 2nd, 2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Making sure people know I am joking....
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
Some of this may be alleviated by another pin-related request, to enable different types of pins having different graphics (my own suggestion was to use the icon for related content when there is such).

It may also be a matter of organization. Are you putting too much on one map, so the pins are crowded and it becomes hard to find the one you want? In that case, labels WON'T help, because they will just overlap each other and make it even more difficult to find what you want.
Silveras is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
No, usually my maps have no more than a dozen of pins.

Yet my players keep asking "what's that ?", "where are we ?", "which pin ?"

(The player view cannot show the labels at all)
Bobifle is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
On top of this if you let the cursor simply hover over the pin it has a text pop-up that tells you the pin's title. But yes labels would be nice sometime in the future....
I personally don't know that I would want lables. I think it would make things really messy. I would, however, like to color code the pins. Yellow for normal room descriptions, black for monsters, red for traps, blue for clues and secret doors, etc.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobifle View Post
No, usually my maps have no more than a dozen of pins.

Yet my players keep asking "what's that ?", "where are we ?", "which pin ?"

(The player view cannot show the labels at all)
Like most things with RW, different DMs have different preferences.

I generally have one pin for each room/location. Often, where a simple descriptions an DM instruction is sufficient, that is ALL I use. No need to create a scene or other topic if I can put the information I need in the pin. Off course many room do link to scenes or other location topics. In addition, I may also have pins for traps or clues.

Also, while I do display the map, revealing areas as they are explored, to the players, I do not include the pins. I only reveal the pins and associated content after the game session.

If you are revealing pins to the players, then yes, I can see labels being helpful. I would hope, if this feature is ever supported that it would just be an option that you can add to a pin and not a default required for all pins.

As I type this, I can think of a one use-case scenario where I would like to use pins, and that would be for overland map locations. I have a custom world map and since I don't have time to create and edit local maps before each session, I typically drop a pin for villages and other locations that are created for a specific adventure or randomly generated as they explore new areas. Having a label that actually shows the village (for example) name would be very helpful.

But again, I would not want to be forced to include a label. It should be an option (along with color coding and icons).

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote