Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dragnmoon

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I got to say, your character sheets are ugly as hell. One thing I loved about RPGxplorer was the ability to put in your own made character sheets.

Is there a way to do this in HeroLabs? and if not is it something you would think about adding?
Dragnmoon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Character sheets are a highly personal thing, and they have been that way since the early days of RPGs (the late 70s). What one person hates in a particular character sheet, another person loves, and vice versa.

Allowing user customization is something that is definitely on our todo list. However, it's something we need to do right and in a way that works well across all the game systems we support. So it's a somewhat complex task.

We've mapped out some ideas for how to achieve it, but there have been a number of other features that we considered higher priority for inclusion in the upcoming V3.6 update. That being said, this capability is fast percolating to the top of the priority list. I wouldn't be surprised to see this released later this year.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mindcloud

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
LOL I was just thinking about asking about custom character sheets and if this was going to be in 3.6 as it is on my top 3 "WANT!" list. I hope it is not to much later this year. Also when you get closer I think it would be a good idea to solicit user input on what kinds of things they want the ability to do. For example
  • A lot harder but would be HOLY CRAP COOL! The ability to import a template from a publishing program like Adobe In Design or MS Publisher. WYSIWYGs are much easier than XML
  • Customizable backgrounds multiple bitmaps.
  • Equipment cards with full stats and fluff with picture fields for that +5 long sword of doom you want to give your players.
  • Equipment lists i.e whats on the book shelf, in the house, treasure chest, or characters backpack.
  • per print options on how detailed you want the print to be ie full stat or abbreviated stats.
Mindcloud is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Would it be possible to have a HTML version of each character sheet? If you saved it as a HTML then you could use a standard editor to pretty it up.

Just a thought
Spence is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bocephus

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
You can "Output Active Hero Summary" in HTML, but its the same as the text output, more or less... and of course just a summary.
bocephus is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Personally, I'd like to have a full character-sheet output that does BBCode. Usually, when posting my characters for Mutants and Masterminds, I'm doing so on the Atomic Think Tank. The current summary omits things like background and appearance. ^_^ Ah, but they said as much might be coming in the next update.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Character sheets are a highly personal thing, and they have been that way since the early days of RPGs (the late 70s). What one person hates in a particular character sheet, another person loves, and vice versa.

Allowing user customization is something that is definitely on our todo list. However, it's something we need to do right and in a way that works well across all the game systems we support. So it's a somewhat complex task.

We've mapped out some ideas for how to achieve it, but there have been a number of other features that we considered higher priority for inclusion in the upcoming V3.6 update. That being said, this capability is fast percolating to the top of the priority list. I wouldn't be surprised to see this released later this year.
That is awesome, Thanks for the reply! I will be looking forward to hopefully seeing this later this year.
Dragnmoon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Sounds good to me too. Much as I hate to admit this, one of the things I did like about the official character generator for 4E is its ability to edit the character sheet.
FifthWanderer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
You can "Output Active Hero Summary" in HTML, but its the same as the text output, more or less... and of course just a summary.
Yep, and that is the problem. I don't want the summary, I want the entire character sheet. Mostly so when the existing version chops the combat summary or powers section in half and sends it to page 2, I can put it back where it belongs and send all the unneeded info to page 2 Not to mention I really really really really want a landscape character sheet.........

But all in all, it is not a deal breaker. Just a minor bump in the road and I can wait.

Even if waiting is not my strong point

Did I mention I like landscape character sheets?
Spence is offline   #9 Reply With Quote