Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old September 9th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
For published adventure paths, like Curse of Straud or Storm Kings Thunder (which I've bought), and which I would run outside of my world and as stand-alone adventure paths, I wouldn't bother with the data entry, even if they were available in PDFs. I don't find typing (or copy-pasting-formatting) large volumes of existing content fun. If they were available for purchase in the Content Market, I would buy them in a heart beat. Otherwise, paper is good enough for me.
Before, that is before RW, I would have agreed and even argued with you on this point. HOWEVER, now that I have T1-4, G1-3, and U1-3 all in RW, plus two campaign worlds....

Man I can't wait for the ability to merge my work on the modules series into my campaigns. I took painstaking care and tons of thought how to enter them in a fashion that is both useful for running as a stand alone or pulling into a world.

A few more tweaks and adjustments and they are ready.

Next up? D1-3 and Q1, OH those evil Drow!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 9th, 2016, 02:11 PM
@Ex Mortis: You are a machine! With the release of Bard's Gate for 5e I'm revisiting those entries in my realms. Being able to merge realms was the selling point for me and I'm waiting as patiently as possible for that to happen.

I'm thinking of T1-4 and U1-3 as well converted to 5e for merging and reskinning for the Lost Lands. But I've gotten sidetracked with video games again so those would be slow entry. You should post some screenshots from those classics you've entered to entice us to keep up.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 12th, 2016, 05:47 PM
@Exmortis, I'm impressed! I second AEIOU's requests for screenshots.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 15th, 2016, 03:08 AM
OK well here is a status info and screenies.

U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
  • Adventure entry - 100% complete
  • Integration tweak - done
  • Full QA pass - 50% complete

U2 - Danger at Dunwater
  • Integration tweak - incomplete
  • Full QA pass - not started

U3 - The Final Enemy

T1 - Village of Hommlet

T2 - Nulb

T3 - Temple of Elemental Evil

T4 - Elemental Nodes
  • Adventure entry - incomplete

G1 - The Steading of the Hill Giant Chief

G2 - Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl

G3 - Hall of the Fire Giant King
  • Adventure entry - 40% complete

Telon Campaign - Vanguard MMO
  • Compiled entire web info on realm - 100% complete
  • Initial QA pass to remove mechanics data - 100% complete
  • Organize continents by geography - 100% complete
  • complete POI by territory - 100% Complete
  • enter in all maps found - 100% complete
  • Create Hero Lab User file for realm - 75% complete, needs QA pass
  • Second QA pass for organization - 100% complete
  • Final QA pass for playability - 25% complete

Daede Campaign - Personal Creation
  • Initial history and world design - 100% complete
  • Playable race design and rough history - 100% complete
  • Organize continents by geography - 100% complete
  • Complete POI by territory - 33% Complete
  • Render maps in CC3+ - 33% complete
  • Create Hero Lab User file for realm - 100% complete, QA pass done
  • Second QA pass for organization - not started
  • Final QA pass for playability - not started

Screenie list - U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Screenie 1 - This is the base module. My entire design hinges around the Pen and paper model, that you buy/download/add modules. Think back, you bought game worlds, then purchased individual adventures.

Screenie 2 - Here is a look at the module break down. the Quest Topics are there as part of my integration tweak design. You can move any topic within a story line to your campaign world, however you maintain the "story relationship" to the module via this topic. So even if there was 25 locations, spread out now to your world, they would have a relationship link to this topic. Can be deleted if your not doing this.

Screenie 3 - Shows my entry of each monster in the adventure with its original game edition. I own all editions rule books.

Screenie 4 - Shows my entry for a "Keyed Location" using a topic of my own design. Of course I remove all unused sections for cleaner look. Missing is a visual aid, portfolio snippets. I use colors, Red(bold and underlined) to represent hostile creatures or trap, Purple (Bold and Italics) for non coin treasure. Treasure gets its own section to be revealed as coins are counted, items are identified or appraised. Since this takes time, it allows GM to reveal as it is done, and take what ever actions are required by the module (random encounters etc.). There are two GM fields for treasure value and XP value tracking. The challenge rating is there as some game systems use it like Pathfinder, so GM can use this if reskinning for use in a different rule set.

I have had to adjust some, U1 monster entries carried a lot of detail as you see in screenie 4. In G1-3 it contains HP a number of creatures. So in G1-3 instead of making creature in the encounter snippet also red, they are links to the actual monster entry (this module G1-3 is why I now do this, and I went back to U1-3 and added the MM1 monster topics), since you cannot run the encounter with out this info, unlike the U1-3 series which gives you enough. I have not decided to make either my normal yet, I will go back and QA my work when I do decide.

Screenie 5 - This was a fundamental topic/category addition I have made along with 4 others (Keyed location, my community, my individual, Monster entry, etc) to every realm I do. I have designed my own topics that better fit my personal views. No disrespect to LWD, but I just did not like the layout of the basic topics, however it was their genius that got me here. The biggest design choice was for me a GM section at the TOP, front and centre. GODS I hated as GM being a little off my game and not remembering a door had a trap on it and only seeing that in the text when the players were counting treasure! So having a GM section at the top relays a quick over view of what the GM MUST know right away.
**NOTE** If I just modified an existing, I simply added "My" to the name. This keeps the original intact, while making it easier to know what I have done. (i.e. My Community is a modified version of the Community topic)

The Read to Players speaks for it self. The Points of Interest is for finer detail, like what equipment is found on the a monster, what detects as magical, secret doors, what's in the cupboard, drawers, etc.. It is player info to be given, when players interact with the location. In a treasure room with lots of chests and traps, this section can be extensive.

Encounter Info speaks for it self.

Additional GM info is for the extra GM notes. Like story of a npc trapped in a room. Relevant info that the GM is given in module but does not pertain to the initial player interaction or info they are to be given.

The treasure section is for the GM to reveal as it is discovered. So in the POI section an entry maybe that a golem was wearing a necklace. then a follow up entry that the necklace detects as magical. here then is an entry with the necklaces actual ID, say:

The Necklace of Ynattirb Sraeps. This item is cursed, and once touched transforms the wearer into a washed up character class of their former glory. This has the affect of being equal too a loss of 75% of their current level, as if drained away by some negative force. This can only be reversed by killing the mythical elusive creature Crockernty Chissser, and bathing in this sad creatures blood. Only then can the necklace be removed.
Attached Images
File Type: png U1 - screenie 1.PNG (426.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: png U1 - screenie 2.PNG (39.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg U1 - screenie 3.jpg (213.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: png U1 - screenie 4.PNG (108.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: png U1 - screenie 5.PNG (213.8 KB, 54 views)

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security

Last edited by Exmortis; September 19th, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 15th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Here are a few screenies from my Telon Project.

Screenie 1 - Shows my general organization of the world in RW.

Screenie 2 - Shows an example of a continental topic. notice I have entered all versions of the map I was able to find.

Screenie 3 - Here I show a drill down to Central Thesra, to the region of Misthaven Crossing. There is a lot going on in a Vanguard chunk or zone. In game this represented 1kmx1km. I will extrapolate this out to 50kmx50km. I have not decided if I want to recreate all the zones in CC3+.

Screenie 4 - Shows this historical timeline of Telon. The sad part is, each continent had many of what was called a "Lore Serial" written by Glip the Gnome. Most this work has long since been lost, but I have pieced together what I could from over two dozen sources.

Side note, Glip the Gnome is the son of late great artist Keith Parkinson. Keith was the art designer for Vanguard, and if you are a fan of his work, you can really see his influence in the game world design.
Attached Images
File Type: png Telon Screenie 1.PNG (391.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: png Telon Screenie 2.PNG (192.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Telon Screenie 3.jpg (355.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: png Telon Screenie 4.PNG (399.5 KB, 42 views)

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 16th, 2016, 12:30 AM
NICE!

I feel bad that these posts are hidden away in this "How long, Really" thread. This would be very useful to new users for examples of world and adventure setup.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 16th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
NICE!

I feel bad that these posts are hidden away in this "How long, Really" thread. This would be very useful to new users for examples of world and adventure setup.
Thanks Man!!

I have considered making a you tube video tutorial series. Not because I feel my way is the best way, I think the true beauty of RW is it allows us all to have our own way, so to help those finding it daunting to get started, and realize that yes! you can modify and tweak to suit your taste.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old September 17th, 2016, 03:14 AM
@Exmortis:
Very nice! Lots of good ideas some of which I will probably copy shamelessly (and most likely tweak a little for my usage).

@MNBlockHead:
I agree - it should really be placed in a different thread, so it would be easier to find.

We should probably have a forum exclusively meant for "I did it my way".

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 17th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
@Exmortis:
Very nice! Lots of good ideas some of which I will probably copy shamelessly (and most likely tweak a little for my usage).

@MNBlockHead:
I agree - it should really be placed in a different thread, so it would be easier to find.

Shame? Not at all, if I was so intent on protecting my ideas I would not have put them here. Much of what you see comes from what I have seen here, with some thought, many failures, and a lot of trial and testing.

Though I do not always post, the info provided here by the RW users has ben helpful beyond calculation.

If anyone sees something that in turn sets the creative fires raging, or even just lightly flaming Then the goal of always paying forward is met.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old September 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Now that is a very good idea. There is always room for improvement. During the first couple of months using RW I spent more time changing the structures than creating new content. Whenever I find a good idea somewhere here in the forums that procdere starts again... so it would be very helpful to have all those brilliant stuff in one dedicated place.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #110 Reply With Quote