Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sevrick

Old February 26th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Ok so when I go to categories and make a new template or edit an existing one and I add a tag snippet to parent category, then create a new category to add stuff to it automatically adds a text snippet, even though there is none in the template.
For example:
1. Overview
---->Snippet Types
------->Tag snippet
2. Abilites..etc

Then it shows up like this when I go to add one:

1. Overview
*Tag snippet
*TEXT SNIPPET<----------------I didn't tell it to give me this!!!

Does anyone know how to fix this? Plz help, it is so frustrating.
Sevrick is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 26th, 2016, 01:21 PM
That's how it works.
Nothing's broken
Every section gets a default text snippet.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sevrick

Old February 26th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
That's how it works.
Nothing's broken
Every section gets a default text snippet.
And if you don't want it your stuck?
Sevrick is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 26th, 2016, 03:24 PM
You can always delete it. After you finish your entry for a topic, you can choose to delete all empty snippets from the menu.. so that would save some work per-topic.

I'm not sure why it would be a big problem.. you never have to reveal it to your players, so they would never see it unless you wanted them to, for example.

I don't know of any way to prevent it from appearing though, no.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2016, 04:13 PM
The assumption is that the vast majority of users will typically enter SOMETHING in the way of text into each section that they plan on using, so a default text snippet is created for that purpose. Since this is the first time I can think of that anyone has mentioned this as an issue seems to validate that assumption.

The assumption is also that users will not be entering complete information for every topic. For example, the local bakery typically won't be detailed nearly as much as the local tavern where the PCs hang out and gather information for the campaign. So users can readily "prune" all unused snippets (and optionally sections) once they've finished entering the appropriate info for a given topic. This includes the auto-created snippet in the section that you don't want.

There is a menu choice to invoke pruning on the Options menu that's accessibly in the header region at the top of the content pane. There is also a keyboard shortcut for it, since this is a frequently used operation for many users.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old February 26th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Actually, Rob, this has been brought up before: Sections without snippets

Like all other Realm Works default settings, it would be awfully nice if those of us who don't like the default could change it.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 26th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Rob: here's a request thread to not add text snippets from 2014.

I personally want it for sections that only contain other types of snippets, which I think is still handled inconsistently but I am not at a computer to check. The use case in that thread's initial post (container sections) still stands, though.

Added: Guess I'm not the only one who remembered that one. Yay!

Last edited by Parody; February 26th, 2016 at 04:52 PM.
Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sevrick

Old February 26th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I don't think you guys are understanding what I am saying. When I add a tag to the category if there is not a text snippet it will add one automatically. This annoying. Now when ever I add a new item it automatically adds that text snippet and I have to delete it every time. For mass entries it is very frustrating.
I don't see why they add something you didn't tell it to add. Just give me what expect, my label snippet, nothing more nothing less.
Sevrick is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevrick View Post
I don't think you guys are understanding what I am saying. When I add a tag to the category if there is not a text snippet it will add one automatically. This annoying. Now when ever I add a new item it automatically adds that text snippet and I have to delete it every time. For mass entries it is very frustrating.
I don't see why they add something you didn't tell it to add. Just give me what expect, my label snippet, nothing more nothing less.
I think you need to provide us with a step-by-step sequence of operations, preferably with pictures. I understand that you are getting frustrated, but we can't actually SEE what's going on, and you're words are not detailed enough for us to accurately understand what you're saying.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecker View Post
Actually, Rob, this has been brought up before: Sections without snippets

Like all other Realm Works default settings, it would be awfully nice if those of us who don't like the default could change it.

-Ian
Thank goodness I included the obligatory disclaimer ("that I can think of"). I honestly had no memory of that thread, most likely because it's lain dormant for close to two years. I stand, er, sit, corrected. Sorry about the foggy memory, folks!
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote