Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FrankD

Old February 17th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Hello there

For quite a while I have been enjoying some of Raging Swan Press books.

Have just started to input their Lonely Coast campaign world into realms works. Was wondering if anyone else is using any of their books.

Cheers Frank
FrankD is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
brian perlis

Old February 17th, 2016, 06:08 PM
I just looked at Dungeon Dressing today trying to figure out the best way to utilize it for Realm Works.
brian perlis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
FrankD

Old February 18th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian perlis View Post
I just looked at Dungeon Dressing today trying to figure out the best way to utilize it for Realm Works.

I know it will involve making a lot of tables, that for sure.

There are a few place you can put these tables, maybe in Mechanics references, in game play or game mastering. Or maybe create a new topic for Dungeon Dressing. Like to see what you come up with.

Some linking I have been doing today. Here

Cheers Frank
FrankD is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
FrankD

Old February 25th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Hello there

A couple of more screen shots of what I have been upto.

This table is for travel times between each village/town in the lonely coast. My expand on this later.

Travel Time

Next is a simple stat page for the Hunter NPC, which also has the Herolab por file

Here

Cheers Frank
FrankD is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old February 25th, 2016, 05:56 PM
FrankD, I like your tables. They look clean, easy to read, and like they were cut from a book. I have taken some inspiration from your tables, but I have left mine with alternating colours for ease of reference. Kind of like the tables from the 5e books, white and light green alternating.
Example

Your stat block is clean and easy to read as well. I cribbed all my statblocks by grabbing the text from an OCR'ed book, and then pasting it without formatting, inserting my own breaks after. And this will probably seem silly, but I pasted the statblock into a field on the entry, then also pasted it into the statblock snippet that opens in another window. overkill I'm sure, but the formatting work is done, so what's a few more key presses at that point. Then, I changed tack, and created a custom category for monsters. Now if I go to a monster, I have it broken up in the same way for every monster, all the sections separated and named, and just the link to the statblock through the snippet and a pdf of the monster from the Monster Manual.

I have tried to create some 5e HL monsters, but I run up against limitations in the SRD, so I gave up on that.

RW: D&D 5e Sandbox campaign - Faerun
RW: Pathfinder Sandbox in Greyhawk - waiting for Marketplace for PF rules
Using Fantasy Grounds for VTT, Waiting for Roll20Pro(Mage Hand) Release
RW: Paizo - Strange Aeons AP
King Chicken is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old February 25th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I like those tables too Frank but I wonder if they could be simplified to save yourself data entry and search time. Rather than having a table for each speed, what if you just made one slightly wider table that would use the format 3/2/2/1 Hours to represent the speeds 20/30/40/50. You could easily colour code text of each speed if you wanted it to be easier to spot each one. This would also make it easier to add other speeds if you wanted to do so.
Gord is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 25th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Here are some other examples you may find useful:

1) My stat block (it has a menu of HL portfolio options as well since this is my bestiary entry). I copy/paste the stat block info into four rows of a table.

Kobold.JPG

2) My Random Encounters for one section. Encounters are pre-populated to speed up play.

Lost Lands - Random Encounters.JPG
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
FrankD

Old February 26th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Chicken View Post
FrankD, I like your tables. They look clean, easy to read, and like they were cut from a book. I have taken some inspiration from your tables, but I have left mine with alternating colours for ease of reference. Kind of like the tables from the 5e books, white and light green alternating.
Example
Thank King Chicken, like the idea of alternating colours so have reworked.
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I like those tables too Frank but I wonder if they could be simplified to save yourself data entry and search time. Rather than having a table for each speed, what if you just made one slightly wider table that would use the format 3/2/2/1 Hours to represent the speeds 20/30/40/50. You could easily colour code text of each speed if you wanted it to be easier to spot each one. This would also make it easier to add other speeds if you wanted to do so.
I did think about this, data entry and search time is not a problem for me, I just think this lay out will work better for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers Frank

Last edited by FrankD; February 27th, 2016 at 12:27 AM.
FrankD is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
FrankD

Old February 27th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Thanks AEIOU for that have update mine now.

Here

Now that I have template done just a matter of copy and paste.

Cheers Frank
FrankD is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 27th, 2016, 08:15 AM
@FrankD: I like it.

My stat blocks started much more complicated, required Excel to format and then copy/paste, and in the end took way too much effort. As I have progressed, I have gone more minimal. And given that I have the HL portfolios embedded for everything, they're redundant but I can't let go of them.

I have mine in a table that has a set right margin with the lines wrapping. For me, that flows better but it's definitely an individual taste. I got rid of the section headers because they aren't really necessary once you've become familiar with Pathfinder. And I colored my blocks to be the same as GM text as a reminder that they aren't for general consumption. I use yellow headers for mobs and red for traps to set them off from other text. I liked dark blue or dark green for mobs but sometimes they link to my Mechanics section and the blue link text doesn't work on those colors.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote