Old November 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Greetings,

The V2.3a release of Hero Lab is now available for download. This new
version includes an assortment of minor feature enhancements and bug
fixes, both for the product itself and the various data files. As
always, you'll find a complete list of changes in the "readme" file
installed with the update and the various game system FAQ info, but
here are few key items.

* Error messages clearly identify the filename and line number when available.
* Tables with multiple columns will output their contents with the
items sorted down within each column and then across instead of
across each row and then down.
* When you right-click a pick, you can now choose to edit its name
(if applicable), delete it, or show debug info if data file debugging
is enabled.
* The "Configure Hero" form now lets you specify whether a hero is an
ally or an enemy. This parallels the option on the Character menu.
* For d20 files, added content from Pathfinder 14, the Lycanthrope
templates, and assorted other new capabilities/fixes.
* For Mutants & Masterminds, added various new options from
Mastermind's Manual, expanded statblock output, added "mix-and-match"
options to Environmental Control and Weather Control, and a bunch of
other refinements and fixes.
* If a thing is created and spliced in the Editor, further attempts
to copy the copied thing would be incorrectly prohibited.
* When creating monster classes for d20 within the Editor, the
"monster class" tag is now properly assigned to the class level object.

If you encounter any problems, please let us know and we'll do our
best to resolve them for you. The new version can be downloaded from
our website or via the automated mechanisms within the product.

May the dice be with you...

-Rob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Bowes (rob@wolflair.com) (408) 927-9880
Lone Wolf Development www.wolflair.com
rob is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:58 PM
A note about the download procedure - I started up HL, it checked for updates, found them, and I clicked on the one at the top (d20). AFTER the 17.5MB download, it told me that the file was for a newer version of HL, and I had to install the new version of HL first. It also didn't have the file stored once I did update HL itself.

Also, I have a seperate datafile set derived from d20. I had to download the d20 package seperately for each of the two game systems. It also renamed the other data file package to d20, with the package's name in smaller text below it (everything wtill works correctly).
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old November 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I updated with no problems. I then went to start the program and it asked me to reactivate my liscence. no problem had to do this with every big update so far. went to do it and it is telling me that the liscence cannot be reassigned at this time.
flamepulse is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
At 12:58 AM 11/14/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
A note about the download procedure - I started up HL, it checked for updates, found them, and I clicked on the one at the top (d20). AFTER the 17.5MB download, it told me that the file was for a newer version of HL, and I had to install the new version of HL first. It also didn't have the file stored once I did update HL itself.
We're still trying to come up with a good solution to this. Keep your fingers crossed that we can think of something appropriate.

Quote:
Also, I have a seperate datafile set derived from d20. I had to download the d20 package seperately for each of the two game systems. It also renamed the other data file package to d20, with the package's name in smaller text below it (everything wtill works correctly).
This is something we never really considered. When you retrieve a file, it is automatically downloaded into the "download" folder beneath where HL is installed (e.g. "c:herolabdownload"). So after you download a game system once, you can use the "Import File" mechanism to simply import that same file into a new location.

We never thought about what would happen if the user opened the config file and renamed the game system. I've put this on the todo list, and we'll see if we can come up with something to solve this.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 27th, 2008, 04:21 AM
At 07:05 AM 11/20/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
I updated with no problems. I then went to start the program and it asked me to reactivate my liscence. no problem had to do this with every big update so far. went to do it and it is telling me that the liscence cannot be reassigned at this time.
That message indicates that something fundamental has changed regarding the Windows operating system installation. HL identifies each user's computer uniquely based on key information tied to the operating system. If that info changes, then HL thinks you've switched to a new computer. For example, if you upgrade the operating system, HL will think you're on a new computer.

If it has been at least 120 days since the last time you re-activated (or initially activated) your license on a "different" computer, then HL will quietly just move your license to the new computer. If it has been less than 120 days, you'll get the error message you cite. If that occurs, you'll need to contact support@wolflair.com to request that you be allowed to re-activate your license on a "different" computer. All this requires is your license number and a brief explanation of what's going on (e.g. re-install after a virus attack, upgraded to Vista, etc.). We can then get things sorted out for you pretty quickly.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old November 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 07:05 AM 11/20/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
That message indicates that something fundamental has changed regarding the Windows operating system installation. HL identifies each user's computer uniquely based on key information tied to the operating system. If that info changes, then HL thinks you've switched to a new computer. For example, if you upgrade the operating system, HL will think you're on a new computer.

If it has been at least 120 days since the last time you re-activated (or initially activated) your license on a "different" computer, then HL will quietly just move your license to the new computer. If it has been less than 120 days, you'll get the error message you cite. If that occurs, you'll need to contact support@wolflair.com to request that you be allowed to re-activate your license on a "different" computer. All this requires is your license number and a brief explanation of what's going on (e.g. re-install after a virus attack, upgraded to Vista, etc.). We can then get things sorted out for you pretty quickly.
if that was the case it wouldnt be as annoying. I had no changes whatsoever on my system from the time i last updated herolab outside of the basic spuyware search and removals and virus checks. no updates to anything OS or otherwise. I understand hte need to want to prevent piracy and all that but having to verify your code after a update is annoying to beat all hell.

This is the only hting i have a complaint on htis product. everything else i have had no problem with, but it make the program hard to use when i run an update and have to wait a week and a half to get the code reset so i can activate again. I play twice a week and both characters i have are a few levels beyond hte com[plexity. so when i have this issue i cant have full access to my character unless i have it printed out, which to me defeats the pourpse of having hte program.
flamepulse is offline   #6 Reply With Quote