Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
mirtos

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM
the OGL stuff for D20 is a lot less open than people think. its important to remember what stuff in the core books falls under OGL and what stuff falls under published WoTC stuff.

much of the D20 stuff actually doesnt fall under the OGL. the various core books are (for the most part, except for flavor content, which is why you lose things like "Heward's" in "Heward's Handy Haversack", but many of the add-on's arent. This is why back in the day, that companies that were doing generations for the "splat" books had to pull them from their oferrings when they used to have data files for those books. Before I ever used hero lab, this was a big issue with some of the generators that were dealing with WoTC draconian policies. (back in the day of their "E-tools", and eventually PCGen).

But I agree with chiefweasel's point "you are probably ok" if you're just going to try to share it, and not sell it. Its just that its incredibly unlikely (and unrealistic) for WoTC to come after you if they arent being hampered financially. If you were to try to sell a data file, that would probably be a different story.

This is why the d20 repository, which is community supported, and not LoneWolf supported, can do a lot of what it can.

All this is my opinion, and not based in any facts (other than some knowledge of the history of WoTC)
mirtos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote