Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dr_Automaton

Old October 11th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Since Rob appears to still be compiled the survey list, I figured I'd bump one of these labeled text snippet request threads.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 11th, 2014, 11:47 PM
There's NO need to bump anything. Unless a thread has lain dormant for well over a year, I've gone through and noted it.
rob is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old October 16th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Sorry, Rob. Noted someone else had done so without comment and just thought it was "THE THING TO DO"
Bidmaron is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 17th, 2014, 04:38 AM
I apparently missed that "bump" or I would have flagged it as well. I'm running pretty ragged on this end...
rob is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Now that we've reached the point of release status, I can understand why you would and wouldn't consider some of the solutions to this. Personally, I would have wrapped all the snippet types up in some kind of designer pattern, probably the decorator one. That way all the snippets could have worked hand in hand, thus adding an additional 'label' would have been ideal. But that's water under the bridge at this point.

Though I was initially for it, I'm not in favor of using tags as labels either (as was mentioned very early on). Tags have a set limit on what they can hold (10 characters), plus each tag has its own label. I still wish the tags could hold more than 10 characters, it is really sad to see truncated tags. I know there is a short description for it, but 10 characters is a short description if you ask me. Enough of that.

My proposal is a rather simple one. Is there some way we can template our snippets for our categories? It would be nice to be able to template a text snippet so that it always has a standard set of formatting within it. For example, if I have a Category called Characteristics and within that Category I put various snippets regarding basic character characteristics, let's say Character Name, I think it would be nice if the snippet could be templated with a bolded Character Name: to start the snippet out with, so that when it is added to the Category that is already in place and I don't have to type it in or copy and paste it in each time. This goes for tables too, I tend to standardized my table sizes, fonts, layout, etc. and it would be nice to have that templated as well beforehand. Just some food for thought, as I don't that this would require too much tinkering with anything 'under the hood'. However, I have no idea what the infrastructure of the code is, so I'll leave this for you to decide.

I seem to remember that originally there was going to be templating, and sometime during the beta when things changed to the current version that went away. Am I misremembering that?
Kendall-DM is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Though I was initially for it, I'm not in favor of using tags as labels either (as was mentioned very early on). Tags have a set limit on what they can hold (10 characters), plus each tag has its own label. ...
I have plenty of tags that are more than 10 characters that show completely in their snippets. Long tags are only truncated if you have multiple tags in the same tag snippet. Most of my tag snippets are designed to be single tags so I can add notes in the text box.

Quote:
My proposal is a rather simple one. Is there some way we can template our snippets for our categories? ...
Sounds like a different thread. :)

ObTopic: I posted my idea upthread.

Parody is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 21st, 2014, 06:21 PM
Right you are, seems I'm using a lot of multi-tags and forgot that the single ones don't truncate. Frankly, having the multi-tags truncate is annoying, but what can you do.
Kendall-DM is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:02 PM
I very much would like this to be a thing. I'm currently trying to create a topic category, and was surprised to find that when I picked a snippet type of "Text" that the "Name" showed up where I thought the "Description" would show up. I hoped the "Name" would show up as a label. :'(
Mystic Lemur is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Right you are, seems I'm using a lot of multi-tags and forgot that the single ones don't truncate. Frankly, having the multi-tags truncate is annoying, but what can you do.
Feature request!
MaxSupernova is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
whump

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:36 AM
I've just encountered this issue in RW and found this thread. I wasn't able to express a view on it in the road-map survey.

Can I ask someone from LoneWolf to give a very brief note on whether labelled text snippets are in the to-do list? If so would they be able to give a rough idea of whether they're likely to be added soon or if they are waaay down the list? Just a rough idea would be great!

If labelled text snippets have really dropped off the radar, would other users be able to share their workarounds if not already in this thread? I've yet to work out a nice way to get a labelled text effect.

Thank you everyone!
whump is offline   #40 Reply With Quote