Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dpenwood

Send a message via AIM to dpenwood

Old September 14th, 2014, 03:14 AM
I have a very basic question about RealmWorks: is it useless without a Windows laptop?

I run RW off Windows 8 running on my iMac (using Parallels). I have had no issue running RealmWorks this way, and I have successfully loaded a lot of my campaign data into the application. Pretty neat stuff.

Then I just got this sinking feeling... since I can't print from RW, I can't export from RW, there is no a web interface to RW (yet), how am I suppose to use RW to run a game? I'm not dragging my desktop Mac around.

Am I missing something basic here, or is a laptop pretty much a requirement for RW to be of any use? (Or a gaming session that happens to take place right next to your PC.)

Thanks!
dpenwood is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 14th, 2014, 04:16 PM
If you want to use RW at your gaming session, then probably. (not useless without a laptop, but you need some type of computer at the gaming table). That being said, I still find it useful to keep track of things even when i couldnt use it at my gaming session. It would mean transferring notes back and forth. Obviously it doesnt help the gaming session as much, but helps you keep track of your game a little... but personally, yeah, i think some type of computer (is pretty much needed at the gaming table until they do export/print)

You could also in theory, make the desktop "available" through any type of remote desktop software and use it through an ipad or something (though that works not so great in my opinion).

Last edited by mirtos; September 15th, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
mirtos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old September 16th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I always thought the main use of RealmWorks was as a database software for game masters and possibly later as a virtual quest log / world almanac for players, not as a presentation software or virtual tabletop - but then again, that's the beauty of it, there are multiple ways of using it, not all of which require certain equipment.
monsterfurby is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Presentation or not, i think its the most useful at the game table... so when players ask questions, i quickly have an answer.

If i didnt have it at the table, it would still help me organize thoughts, but wouldnt be nearly as useful, IMO.
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I don't use it as presentation software or VSS or anything, just for my organization.

I'd be lost if I didn't have it on a laptop at the gaming table.

Output of the data I have in RW into *any* other format can't come fast enough.
MaxSupernova is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I am in the boat of using RW at game table nor not at all. I see very little benefit to anything electronic that I have then print out, may as well just do it all in word and excel,print it and keep it in binders.

For me RW is replacing Word, Excel, and all my binders and all my need for printed materials. With player view it will be all done with out paper. With exception to my word format World document which I use as the "player guide" much the same as say Kingmaker player guide, RW will contain my entire campaign, and will be shared through it.

With the recent funding of D20 Ultimate, I will have even more demand for my lappy and tablet at the gaming table. No more paper, no more books, no more back aches.

Again this is just one way to game, it is right for me and my group, but maybe not for you and yours.
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote