Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

dungeonguru

Old September 12th, 2018, 05:08 AM
I'm not sure you won't get some weird validation errors. Some of the behaviors of spellcasting are baked in behind code we can't see. For instance, the wizard class has logic that want you to learn 6x 1st level spells at 1st level, your script takes away the ability to cast them though. I would have to look at it to see if we could drop the spellbook values - I haven't messed with them much.

You can certainly get your level with the #levelcount[Wizard] or #totallevelcount[] macros or even find the maximum caster level and then write an if statement that says if your level is less than 2, set that value to 0 or subtract the number they would normally get to zero the number out.

So a hack like:

if (#levelcount[Wizard] < 2) then
~ if we're 1st level, subtract the number we would normally get to memorize
hero.childfound[cHelpWiz].field[cMaxSpMem].value -= maximum(1, 1 + #attrmod[aINT])
~ this code zeroes out the num of memorized requirement
else
~ else add 2
hero.childfound[cHelpWiz].field[cMaxSpMem].value += 2
endif
dungeonguru is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 12th, 2018, 06:23 AM
I follow what you are saying. I gave it some more thought last night and have another question. Instead of doing the prior example, giving them no spells memorized at first level, would it be possible to just jump them forward in spell level? For example, I have just multi-classed into White Robe Wizard but instead of getting first level spells memorized (base of 2 from PHB p.113) would it be possible to treat my caster level as a 3rd level White Robe Wizard?

In other words, I would like to jump the spell casting portion of the Hero up by +1 (from an effective level 1 to level 2) even though they are a Level 1 White Robe Wizard. Can that be done?
OldDNDer is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 12th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Since you have to be a Wizard to cross into White Robe Wizard isn't there a way to just count the total character levels and apply that to the effective spellcasting level?
OldDNDer is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 12th, 2018, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure that prestige class style logic would be easy to implement. The mechanisms just aren't part of the SRD, from which all of the programming springs. There are some posts about gestalting - especially over in the Pathfinder group that might help more than I can at this point.

A lot of prestige classing is easy to implement by redesigning it into a subclass, which is a lot easier than trying to cross-check for total levels.
dungeonguru is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 12th, 2018, 10:51 AM
I'm not building it as a Prestige class. Instead, I'm building it as a class of its own that can be multi-classed into. Much like you could with Fighter and Wizard, or Ranger and Cleric. If there isn't really a way to do it then no worries. It would have been nice to pull off. I was looking at the examples and tutorials and I can see how to count total levels of a hero but I cannot figure out how to adjust a hero's total spellcasting level.

I see you're from Louisville? I have a friend who lives up there now. We met back in the Army at Fort Bragg. We used to play D&D back then. It was a blast. I still keep in touch with Dave. We've been friends for 26 years.
OldDNDer is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Okay, so my next question is how can I add an initiative bonus at certain levels? For example, if I want a +1 bonus at level 2, then +2 at level 4 how would go about that? This is for a Class Special. Here is what I have so far:

Code:
if (herofield[????].value >= 2) then
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value = maximum(hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value, 1)
endif
if (herofield[????].value >= 4) then
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value = maximum(hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value, 2)
endif
The problem is where I have the ????. I cannot seem to get the code to recognize the Class. I keep getting the error "Non-existent field 'ccDLCrwnKn' used by script. I have tried Knight of the Crown, Knight Of The Crown, and cHelpKCR but keep getting the same result.
OldDNDer is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 13th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Is this wrong, as in will it cause a problem at some point?

Code:
if (#totallevelcount[] >= 2) then
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value = maximum(hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value, 1)
endif
if (#totallevelcount[] >= 4) then
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value = maximum(hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value, 2)
endif
if (#totallevelcount[] >= 7) then
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value = maximum(hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value, 3)
endif
I ask because it seems to work.
OldDNDer is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 14th, 2018, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDNDer View Post
I see you're from Louisville? I have a friend who lives up there now. We met back in the Army at Fort Bragg. We used to play D&D back then. It was a blast. I still keep in touch with Dave. We've been friends for 26 years.
I have a Dave that shows up sometimes at my table but he's never been in the military, so I'm 100% sure not the same Dave. Louisville's gaming community is pretty robust, I once worked with the RPGA during the 3.0/3.5 launch and was surprised at how many gaming groups are spread through the area.

Quote:
Is this wrong, as in will it cause a problem at some point?
It's a quirky way to do it, The only issue I see is that if you create something else (like a sword or amulet) that touches BonSacred, then the bonuses will not stack, you'll just take the maximum bonus.

An alternate way would be to nest or tier your if/thens like this:

if (#totallevelcount[] >= 7) then
~ greater than 7 levels, add 3 to init
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value += 3
elseif (#totallevelcount[] >= 4) then
~ else we are less than 7, if we are more than 4 add 2
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value += 2
elseif (#totallevelcount[] >= 2) then
~ else we are less than 4, if we are more than 2 add 1
hero.child[Initiative].field[BonSacred].value += 1
endif

I added the comments to show you how the else logic is working since it can be confusing.
dungeonguru is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 14th, 2018, 08:04 AM
I just realized a mistake I made. I have it counting total levels. I just want it to count levels as a Crown Knight. I changed it from (#totallevelcount[]) to (levelcount[cDLCrwnKn]).

What a pity you aren't the same Dave. I'm glad I didn't send that Facebook message asking why you never told me you used Hero Lab.

Last edited by OldDNDer; September 14th, 2018 at 11:08 AM.
OldDNDer is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 14th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Okay, newest question. Clerics have access to Custom Ability Name: Divine Domain. I would like my custom class to access that list too. The problem is that I do not see the list. Is that a list I will need to create from scratch or is it in the Custom Ability section and I can use the New (Copy) button? If it is in there what is it called? I've tried searching but have not had luck.
OldDNDer is offline   #20 Reply With Quote