Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

H2Os

Old March 28th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I've been away for awhile, and clicking through the last 3-4 pages I didn't see anyone asking about the mac client. Any news on it?
H2Os is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 28th, 2015, 03:51 PM
From Wine functionality in the current version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
While nothing is for certain, I personally doubt OS X and the Linux variants will have a native client. The web client will be their solution.

Rob's two posts starting here (Mac/iPad/Android Integration) are (as far as I know) the most direct on the subject.
(That thread's a bit more generic.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Parody; March 29th, 2015 at 07:39 AM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old April 10th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Hey there,

Don't worry, you're not alone... I had Realmworks bought when I had a PC, and after my PC died, I decided, for personal reasons (please don't start a flaming thread about PC vs Mac), to buy a Mac.

Unfortunately, the actual solution doesn't help me (the web version) since it won't be possible to create or modify a realm on its launch. Plus, when I go and GM in my club, there is no internet connection and therefore, renders it useless for me... So yeah, I'm struggling, and fighting to try making it work and almost got there...

The closest I've been to is with Crossover. I created an empty bottle. Inside it, I then installed .Net 4. After which I installed Realmworks. After the installation was done, I tried it, and it loaded. I was amazed it was working. I got the title screen, and when the splash screen goes away, it crashes for me with an unhandled exception. Ouch... So close...

I keep my fingers crossed though and hope the dev will go for .Net 5, who seems promising in unifying all previous .Net... So maybe by then it will become a viable solution to make it work using Mono (from the dev point of view), or via Wine or something like it.

Right now, I'm trying to find a solution with a virtual machine but heck... :/

I keep my fingers crossed though that in the long run, it would become available natively on the mac...
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 10th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Realm Works should run just fine in a virtual machine where you've installed Windows XP or later.

If you poke around there's threads on .NET 5, whose openness looks like it will mostly benefit folks who want to run server-side applications on non-Windows platforms.

Last edited by Parody; April 10th, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
tml

Old August 8th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I have been a sometime contributor to Mono, from back when I worked for Novell. Although it has been a few years, if there was a list somewhere of the features Mono was lacking that hold back the Mac support, I wouldn't mind seeing if there's something in there I can contribute to.
tml is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 8th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml View Post
I have been a sometime contributor to Mono, from back when I worked for Novell. Although it has been a few years, if there was a list somewhere of the features Mono was lacking that hold back the Mac support, I wouldn't mind seeing if there's something in there I can contribute to.
IIRC, Realm Works currently crashes at startup trying to use WMI to get information about the local system. If that's correct, then Step 1 is: between Mono, Wine, and whatever other items you need, make WMI work. (Well, make whatever information Realm Works tries to get using WMI work.)

There's another thing to think about, though: whether the third-party libraries Realm Works uses would work under Mono/Wine, and whether their developers care about Mono/Wine compatibility. DevExpress has said multiple times that Mono compatibility isn't a priority, for example.

Last edited by Parody; August 8th, 2015 at 04:56 PM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old August 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I have it running in an osX environment via Parallels.
Works flawlessly.
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote