Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 15th, 2017, 02:58 PM
OK, folks, a question for the Community...

Which Settings would use multiple Arcane Backgrounds?

Right now, we know Rifts could use it, but we aren't doing an Official release of that like we did for the Companion books.

But I need to know how many other Settings would use this as a gauge for how much demand there is.

The biggest issue is the resource trackers. The current set up has one to track the max points, and one to track the used points. If we go down this road, it'll have to be refactored to require each Arcane Background to have their own set. This means that creating Arcane Backgrounds would require a few more steps. And adding a couple of more tabs to the Editor.

This is not a minor thing, folks. The possible side effects include forcing all Settings files using Arcane Backgrounds to be edited. I would hope that it would not change so much that we had to go down that road, but it's an outside possibility.

So, chime in, and let us know your thoughts.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old October 15th, 2017, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Beasts and Barbarians does.
Paragon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old October 16th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Perhaps SW Mutant Chronicles with the Art and the Dark Symmetry.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old October 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM
OK, folks, I am not hearing a serious need, here.... Is it really just those two? Really?

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old October 19th, 2017, 05:06 PM
There is also the Fantasy Companion's racial ability to have a power and it's own PP pool.

I know this i would use in my personal game since I have two races with on power each and would love to not just slap it on a text field/label.
jfrazierjr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 19th, 2017, 07:29 PM
While I've yet to personally run into a need for multiple ABs on a single character, I would agree with jfrazierjr that I have run into plenty of instances to have a need for multiple PP pools, usually for separate powers.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old October 19th, 2017, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
While I've yet to personally run into a need for multiple ABs on a single character, I would agree with jfrazierjr that I have run into plenty of instances to have a need for multiple PP pools, usually for separate powers.
Could you expound on this being a house rule(as some of my wants are) or official setting things? I do not own but a few settings and those are all fantasy(Lankhmar which I just purchased, Hellfrost, and Shaintar) so I don't know(or care honestly) about all of the other genres setting rules other than mere curiosity. What context would preclude needing multiple backgrounds but require separate PP pools? The only thing I can generally think about is something like I mentioned in my first statement for the Fantasy Companion's Race point buy power option. Is it similar to that context?
jfrazierjr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 20th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
Could you expound on this being a house rule(as some of my wants are) or official setting things? I do not own but a few settings and those are all fantasy(Lankhmar which I just purchased, Hellfrost, and Shaintar) so I don't know(or care honestly) about all of the other genres setting rules other than mere curiosity. What context would preclude needing multiple backgrounds but require separate PP pools? The only thing I can generally think about is something like I mentioned in my first statement for the Fantasy Companion's Race point buy power option. Is it similar to that context?
Yeah, basically. I think the last time I was working with it was for a homebrew conversion of AD&D 4E characters (we tried 4E and after many months decided we just couldn't stand it and we'd just convert the darned thing to Savage Worlds instead). Definitely the Drow ability to get spells with a separate PP was a big thing, so that's very much a Fantasy Companion style method for a Race. However magic items, also, often track their own pool of PPs which it doesn't appear HL currently has any trackers for. Things like that.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Yeah, basically. I think the last time I was working with it was for a homebrew conversion of AD&D 4E characters (we tried 4E and after many months decided we just couldn't stand it and we'd just convert the darned thing to Savage Worlds instead). Definitely the Drow ability to get spells with a separate PP was a big thing, so that's very much a Fantasy Companion style method for a Race. However magic items, also, often track their own pool of PPs which it doesn't appear HL currently has any trackers for. Things like that.
That's functionally what my game is. Converting from D&D 4e(which I extremely liked myself, thought there were some things I did not.) and there are a number of races which my players have with racial powers so that's one of the critical things for me in terms of trying to shoehorn it into the current base Savage Worlds.
jfrazierjr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old October 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Well, on the separate power bit....

That's not multiple Arcane Backgrounds. Those specifically do not grant the Arcane background Edge. And the Arcane Background is what those resources are attached to. In order to have each power with it's own pool would require a complete re-write of the Arcane Background system. And for only that one thing.

I'm afraid that there is little chance of getting full-blown support for that. It would be HUGELY difficult to set up each power with it's own separate trackable resource pool. Because this is Savage Worlds, not D&D. We're set up differently.

This is one of those places where the fact that we have to support so many different flavors hurts us. Pathfinder/D&D/D20 uses one rule set, and one Setting. We have to be much more flexible. Which means there are levels of detail we simply can't support. It's why we don't support Skill Specialization.

Now, we are looking at a way to allow a Secondary Arcane Background. But only two. We can't afford to re-write the entire system to support the separate powers. It's like Skill Specialization, where it takes a basic concept and spins it on its ear. We're flexible, just not quite that flexible.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #10 Reply With Quote