Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Aaron

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
To be perfectly honest I am not sure I want to open that door either. Maintaining a whole separate set of Classes/Feats/Abilities would suck. I can see where lots of issues with Pre-Req and Archetypes will cause problems and error reports. It means trying to "trick" HL into thinking these "Custom" versions are the same as the "Real" versions.

I quickly see this not being maintained by the person who wants it and dropping it in my lap. I can't speak for anyone else but I simply have NO time to add this to the my current work load. Sorry....
Fair point.
Aaron is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old June 16th, 2017, 11:11 AM
My main thing was for items. Right now because the AvG isnt PFS sanctioned yet Im having to research what has and hasnt been changed. With ioun stones and what not, its kind of obnoxious.
Minous is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old June 17th, 2017, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
I kinda feel a bit like Dwayne, and felt things should have stayed the same from other material. Further on that, I don't remember seeing anything official from Paizo that these duplicated items in AG are actual updates/errata to previous sources. Is this official Paizo errata (if so, from where/whom) or just a decision of LW team?
If I recall correctly, from the D20 Dungeons and Dragons V3.5 era, the latest publication of a given instance overrides the old version.
The text over table mantra also applies.

Paizo follows this strategy as it was cited in Dungeon / Dragon magazine. The option to use the old version is still a valid choice though.

Living Monolith is one past example of this.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old June 17th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Quote:
I quickly see this not being maintained by the person who wants it and dropping it in my lap. I can't speak for anyone else but I simply have NO time to add this to the my current work load. Sorry....
I look into my crystal ball and observe you not giving a single f@%k
ErinRigh is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old June 18th, 2017, 06:15 AM
If a group has some books, but chooses to not use others, the only version of something in hero lab is the latest version then, despite the group not owning the new book with the updated version of the feat or item or whatever.

I see both points of view...

It's nice to have the version, that your sources give you access to.
But it's also nice to be able to use your feat/item, because it's in the original source (that you have access to), but to get free errata (the updated version) despite not having bought the updated source and adding it to your license.
Ualaa is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 18th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRigh View Post
I look into my crystal ball and observe you not giving a single f@%k
Have to disagree to this being accurate. Its not that I don't care its more I a feel "overwhelmed". I am pulled in a dozen directions from 3.5/d20, Pathfinder and 5e now. I get emails and PMs asking for help and advice and asking to add this or that to the Pack.

Even when I have others adding stuff to the Pack it always requires my assistance to script stuff and add features. Or I have to write new Procedures to make it easy for something to be added to the Pack. This all takes up the "little" free time I have.

I am also frustrated that the "base" books like PoW or Psionics are not finished yet but people want to keep adding "other" supplemental books. Then I get error reports that a "base" ability or class or archetype is not in the Pack yet and all I can give for an answer is yes not done.

Then add in things like PoW just got a whole thing of Errata that should be incorporated and sigh. I am starting to feel exhausted so the idea of taking on yet "another" project may just be that final straw.......

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
If a group has some books, but chooses to not use others, the only version of something in hero lab is the latest version then, despite the group not owning the new book with the updated version of the feat or item or whatever.

I see both points of view...

It's nice to have the version, that your sources give you access to.
But it's also nice to be able to use your feat/item, because it's in the original source (that you have access to), but to get free errata (the updated version) despite not having bought the updated source and adding it to your license.
I see this as the growing pains of the emerging digital future.

Content "canon" is tied at this time to the physical media someone possesses, or the digital representation of physical media (PDF). As the digital implementations become the standard in the future "living documents" that always and only represent the "present canon" will become the norm.

How publishers (such as Paizo) and how tool vendors (such as LWD) handle the conflicts and work out exactly how the "living documents" work will be a sometimes painful process of trial-and-error.
Silveras is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Have to disagree to this being accurate. Its not that I don't care its more I a feel "overwhelmed". I am pulled in a dozen directions from 3.5/d20, Pathfinder and 5e now. I get emails and PMs asking for help and advice and asking to add this or that to the Pack.

Even when I have others adding stuff to the Pack it always requires my assistance to script stuff and add features. Or I have to write new Procedures to make it easy for something to be added to the Pack. This all takes up the "little" free time I have.

I am also frustrated that the "base" books like PoW or Psionics are not finished yet but people want to keep adding "other" supplemental books. Then I get error reports that a "base" ability or class or archetype is not in the Pack yet and all I can give for an answer is yes not done.

Then add in things like PoW just got a whole thing of Errata that should be incorporated and sigh. I am starting to feel exhausted so the idea of taking on yet "another" project may just be that final straw.......
Honestly, I think it was a mistake to merge all of the Community pieces into one Pack. It may have been good for resolving dependencies, but I think it made the whole too much for one person to manage.

I think this is especially true for major alternative systems, like Psionics and the Path of War. They're deviating pretty far from Paizo's published route on Pathfinder, and probably should be stand-alone add-ons for those who want them much like the Spheres of Power content maintained by The Iron Golem. I think that's a better solution for them.
Silveras is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:56 AM
I don't know that Dreamscarred Press is large enough to hire someone to maintain their Hero Lab files.

Honestly, for my group, those two files are the most important pieces of the Community Package, but other groups may different priorities.
I really appreciate the time and effort put in, to provide these resources to the community.
Ualaa is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old June 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Honestly, I think it was a mistake to merge all of the Community pieces into one Pack. It may have been good for resolving dependencies, but I think it made the whole too much for one person to manage.

I think this is especially true for major alternative systems, like Psionics and the Path of War. They're deviating pretty far from Paizo's published route on Pathfinder, and probably should be stand-alone add-ons for those who want them much like the Spheres of Power content maintained by The Iron Golem. I think that's a better solution for them.
I have to agree with this. While we have used Psionics in the past, for the foreseeable future we only need the Community Pack for the Adjustments and Unchained material and I'd love to be able to only load that part.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #30 Reply With Quote