Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Toblakai

Old June 16th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekwych View Post
Android is, far and away, the most costly in time and resources for us to support because of poor maintenance of the OS and number of version in large scale use. When corners have to be cut Android is always the first to go.
You say "US" are you a LW developer then? I always heard that objective-C was one of the worst languages to develop with, and the devs I have dealt with love working within the android framework, I guess different strokes for different folks. (I know a lot of devs that curse the apple infrastructure, especially around connections with blue tooth and usb)
Toblakai is offline   #21
Tekwych

Old June 16th, 2017, 07:35 PM
No I am not with LWD and do not work in the gaming industry. The issues have nothing to do with language and everything to do with trying to satisfy the needs of 15 different versions of the OS that have significant install basses. Write one line of code and then 7 lines of midshipmen's and exceptions.
Tekwych is offline   #22
Farling

Old June 17th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Quote:
No I am not with LWD and do not work in the gaming industry. The issues have nothing to do with language and everything to do with trying to satisfy the needs of 15 different versions of the OS that have significant install basses. Write one line of code and then 7 lines of midshipmen's and exceptions.
This probably because Android developers don't like to follow the Apple attitude of dropping support for devices that are two years old (by issuing iOS updates which only work on "recent" iPhones and iPads).
Farling is offline   #23
Toblakai

Old June 17th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Quote:
This is a large exaggeration.
Toblakai is offline   #24
Parody

Old June 17th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
This probably because Android developers don't like to follow the Apple attitude of dropping support for devices that are two years old (by issuing iOS updates which only work on "recent" iPhones and iPads).
Android application developers don't have much choice; the chipset creators, phone manufacturers, and carriers don't keep the OS up to date. For devices on the Google Play Store, there's about as many on Jelly Bean (2012) as there are on Nougat (2016), and most are somewhere in the middle. (For contrast, iOS 10 is available on most devices from the same timespan.) Project Treble might improve that, but that's still a couple years down the line given how people replace devices.

As for the rest: storing data in a database doesn't magically make UIs easier. As the RW team found out, neither does picking a framework and controls that look supported on multiple platforms at first glance but actually aren't. I'm not a big fan of moving everything to "the Web" either, but I can't blame them for choosing that way to provide support for more devices.

Last edited by Parody; June 17th, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Parody is offline   #25
Amatyr

Old June 18th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
iOS updates tend to go onto hardware up to 4 years old.
Android is what tends to be only get about 2 years of support.
Amatyr is offline   #26
themantheycallcris

Old July 19th, 2017, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping Hero Lab Online will be a page where you can load up a .por file into a webpage and interact with it in a game session. Editing the file would be nice, but the ability to share a .por with my player of their character, and them being able to then load it and play it on their phone's web browser, is at least going to let them play... and maybe encourage them to either chip in on my HeroLab expenses or else buy their own copy.

Not having to have a windows machine at hand would also be useful for me as a GM, I could load up a browser on my Android phone with separate tabs for all my baddies in HeroLab, and do whatever in-game interactions were needed to get through the encounter.

I'm hoping that HeroLab Online will at least be that!

Christ is King!
themantheycallcris is offline   #27
daplunk

Old July 19th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I suspect it will be a whole lot more than that. I'm guessing it will be a fully online solution. All guesses here but:

You will open it in a web browser
It will be login / account based not license based
It will pull data from a server instead of your machine

The questions I'm already pondering is:

Will it require an always on connection or will it work offline?
Will it completely replace Hero Lab or will they work together?
Is it using the same core data?
Will my purchased data flow over to the new tool?
Will it support the creation of custom content (i doubt it wouldn't)
How will custom content be stored? (locally or on a server)
If on a server what will that cost me?
How will player hosted content work (aka community pack)?
Will there be a way for DMs to view / interact with their players character sheets?
Will combat management allow live sync between the DM and players?
How will Realm Works integration work?

Moving to an online solution is a big step and it certainly feels like it's the way of the future. It will no doubt open the tool up to a wealth of new customers. Just going to be very keen to understand the impact of moving to a web based solution as web tools are generally not as powerful as standalone applications.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; July 19th, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
daplunk is offline   #28
Paragon

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:11 AM
It might open it up to a lot of new customers, but I can promise an on-line only version would lose at least one in me.
Paragon is offline   #29
Tekwych

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:47 AM
And me. No internet where we play and I dislike being told I must be online to do any work. One of the reasons I play on a tabletop and not a video display
Tekwych is offline   #30
Closed Thread