Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Silveras

Old January 11th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynder View Post
update, i got it working.. though, why it works i have no idea.. heres what i have

field[abDC].value += hero.child[ProfBonus].field[tProfBonus].value + #attrmod[aCHA]

i got rid of the base 10 upfront.. and its now giving me the DC 15 i need..

so... i dont get it though, wheres the 10 coming from?

its giving me 15, the number i need... just from profBonus + aCha... so, i am so lost...

how is this working?
The base 10 was *probably* already there... you adding 10 + modifiers resulted in a net base 20, then the modifiers.

+= [some formula] means to add [some formula] to what is already there. If you wanted to completely replace any existing value with the calculated value, just "=" instead of "+=" is what you wanted.

Make sense?
Silveras is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Cynder

Old January 11th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The base 10 was *probably* already there... you adding 10 + modifiers resulted in a net base 20, then the modifiers.

+= [some formula] means to add [some formula] to what is already there. If you wanted to completely replace any existing value with the calculated value, just "=" instead of "+=" is what you wanted.

Make sense?
that makes sense except for one thing... 10...

the normal DC base of anything in 5E is 8... not 10.

so if its taking its normal DC and saying DC +prof +cha = ... wouldnt we end up back at square one? same as if i used the automatic and was 2 short?

so, where did it get the 10 from? since 5E base is 8, not 10, i am in the 5E editor and editing a 5E portfolio, and testing in 5E...

XD that's the bit i am confused at

otherwise it works awesomely, tested it out and its adding up fine...

never could accept "its working, don't ask why" as an answer XD always needed to know why something worked, or didn't work.
Cynder is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Quote:
hero.child[profBonus]. i assume is selecting my prof bonus.. but whats the difference between that, and just using profBonus as the editor uses?
hero.child[ProfBonus] is the 'Pick' that is live on the hero. It can hold tags and fields that hold values. My guess is that LW was not sure if in the future it would need to hold other "Proficiency Bonuses" or values. So they made it a pick itself allowing future growth.

.field[tProfBonus].value is a single field on the Proficiency Bonus Pick. More than you care about I am sure about the editor.

Quote:
never could accept "its working, don't ask why" as an answer XD always needed to know why something worked, or didn't work.
If you post the .user file as an attachment to this thread I can give you a 100% correct answer. I tested this script in 5e before posting and it worked fine no extra 10. My "guess" is that you put 10 in the field on your Racial Ability.

In the editor see if you press the blue button called "Fields" see if if "abDC" is listed with a value of 10?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Cynder

Old January 12th, 2017, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
hero.child[ProfBonus] is the 'Pick' that is live on the hero. It can hold tags and fields that hold values. My guess is that LW was not sure if in the future it would need to hold other "Proficiency Bonuses" or values. So they made it a pick itself allowing future growth.

.field[tProfBonus].value is a single field on the Proficiency Bonus Pick. More than you care about I am sure about the editor.

If you post the .user file as an attachment to this thread I can give you a 100% correct answer. I tested this script in 5e before posting and it worked fine no extra 10. My "guess" is that you put 10 in the field on your Racial Ability.

In the editor see if you press the blue button called "Fields" see if if "abDC" is listed with a value of 10?
not sure what blue button your mentioning? however i can give my file. the .user i am editing yeah?

linked below.

i am glad its working but wish to understand why, if i don't know how its working i cant know how to fix it.. the whole teaching to fish thing.
Attached Files
File Type: email 5E kitsunes.user (16.5 KB, 2 views)
Cynder is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 12th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Quote:
i am glad its working but wish to understand why, if i don't know how its working i cant know how to fix it.. the whole teaching to fish thing.
For Kitsune Trickery you have the editor set to use the "Standard DC" using Charisma. Go into the editor and Kitsune Trickery and set "Standard DC" to "- None -".

This also appears to be a bug as the HL software is using 10 + Ability score instead of 5e's 8 + Ability Score.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Cynder

Old January 12th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
For Kitsune Trickery you have the editor set to use the "Standard DC" using Charisma. Go into the editor and Kitsune Trickery and set "Standard DC" to "- None -".

This also appears to be a bug as the HL software is using 10 + Ability score instead of 5e's 8 + Ability Score.
wait, so i found a bug?

omg, does that make me like some kind of awesome program bug tester guy?

>.< all i did was randomly fumble around and i found a bug?
Cynder is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 13th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Quote:
wait, so i found a bug?

omg, does that make me like some kind of awesome program bug tester guy?

>.< all i did was randomly fumble around and i found a bug?
Good Job! I reported it already. What it most likely means is no one is using the "StandardDC" logic or didn't know the value was 2 higher than it should be.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old January 14th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Saves in 5E are usually 8 + Proficiency bonus + the appropriate abilty score modifier (Charisma in the case).

Since you are setting the DC not modifying, ShadowChemosh's script should be:

Quote:
field[abDC].value = 8 + hero.child[ProfBonus].field[tProfBonus].value + #attrmod[aCHA]
or

Quote:
field[abDC].value = 8 + #profbonus[] + #attrmod[aCHA]

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 14th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
Saves in 5E are usually 8 + Proficiency bonus + the appropriate abilty score modifier (Charisma in the case).
Except he specifically asked for 10 plus not 8 plus. Which also added confusion when he was posting this in Pathfinder. As I didn't know he was talking 5e.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old January 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Ah, I missed that part.

Sorry for correcting the Wizard.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #20 Reply With Quote