Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

jkthomsen9

Old January 6th, 2015, 02:57 PM

Not sure why it took me so long to post this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150106_152414.jpg (49.2 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20150106_152430.jpg (18.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 20150106_152438.jpg (52.6 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by jkthomsen9; January 6th, 2015 at 03:02 PM.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Just saw this Kickstarter and thought of this thread.... I'm not backing but it's interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-any-light-so
AEIOU is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Just saw (the Beam projector Kickstarter) and thought of this thread.... I'm not backing but it's interesting.
You can get nicer projectors for what they're charging you to pre-order one of these. They won't screw into a light socket, but they will have standard inputs and brighter lights.

Parody is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Oh definitely. What I thought was interesting was using it as a pendant light/projector. It's compact, light and has features. It's also pricey and since it's not in the marketplace already, it's risky. I'll stick to a monitor....
AEIOU is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old February 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
If/When I redo my system in the future I think I am going to build a system with a flat screen in the table. I got my first projector in 2003 after seeing an article on d20srd.com. Got a better HD one a few years ago. They completely changed the gaming experience. I can not draw, I screw up stick figures. With the projectors my players saw the dungeon in the high quality art that paizo has always put out.

The downside of projectors are they put out a LOT of heat. Put ten people and a projector in a room and it is going to get warm. The bulbs are expensive and need to be replaced. This has been greatly reduced with LED projectors. Last there are shadows from overhead.

Can someone who has a flat screen under compare pros and cons?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Check my earlier research responses on this thread. Like u I chose to switch from projection to embed TV(s)in a table. The biggest plus was being able to play in full lit room without loss of high visibility maps. The big minus for projection is same issue (using in bright lit room) & projection "throw distance" was also an issue for any with low ceilings.(in my situation)
In earlier posts I gave a rough breakdown of the entire cost of our game room install, with some cost saving ideas too.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Oh definitely. What I thought was interesting was using it as a pendant light/projector. It's compact, light and has features. It's also pricey and since it's not in the marketplace already, it's risky. I'll stick to a monitor....
Agreed, I would add high lumin & contrast are both essential for good sharp projection. And as Parody points out, for the cost you could get a better, traditional one IMO.

But like AEIOU I would still lean toward a monitor or flatscreen tv since most displays are not "in motion" but static pictures.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
If/When I redo my system in the future I think I am going to build a system with a flat screen in the table. I got my first projector in 2003 after seeing an article on d20srd.com. Got a better HD one a few years ago. They completely changed the gaming experience. I can not draw, I screw up stick figures. With the projectors my players saw the dungeon in the high quality art that paizo has always put out.

The downside of projectors are they put out a LOT of heat. Put ten people and a projector in a room and it is going to get warm. The bulbs are expensive and need to be replaced. This has been greatly reduced with LED projectors. Last there are shadows from overhead.

Can someone who has a flat screen under compare pros and cons?
I started with a projector as well. It worked good for 2 years or so. I only have 7' ceiling in the basement so getting a short throw projector was a must. Later I added a mirror and got about a 48" size projection. The problem was it was still only a true 720p projector so text could be hard to read in MT. Then we had a grid/pixel thing that showed up, then of course there's the shadows and noise.

Eventually we started getting white pixels (up to a few hundred) so had to replace it. And it was cheaper to go with a TV (you can see my table on page 3).

Be sure to check viewing angle (especially from the bottom of the TV) but mine is perfect, better resolution, brighter, all around better viewing experience...

...except for one problem. Protecting the screen. I went with glass and it would be fine except I have can lights so we have a glare problem depending on where you sit. I'm looking at finding some non-reflecting glass but some $$ are involved.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Be sure to check viewing angle (especially from the bottom of the TV) but mine is perfect, better resolution, brighter, all around better viewing experience...

...except for one problem. Protecting the screen. I went with glass and it would be fine except I have can lights so we have a glare problem depending on where you sit. I'm looking at finding some non-reflecting glass but some $$ are involved.
James brings up some good points, view angle is important especially since you will be viewed from "nonstandard" angles.
I would also add (as noted elsewhere in this thread ) be sure your intended install allows for ventilation based on Tv needs. Some vent thru the front and you will be covering that most likely.
As to glare, it can be a problem, but can also be controlled via lighting. I have found indirect lighting works well.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:41 AM
FYI, the viewing able specs for my TV are: 176° (H) / 176° (V)

So that's pretty dang near flat. And if you go LED tv's, they hardly produce any heat, mine gets to about 90 degrees on the top (screen side). It only consumes 67 watts and it's a older model. Every year they get better/cheaper.

I kinda wish mine would die so I have a reason to put a 4k TV in there!

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #80 Reply With Quote