Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
Wouldn't the underlying data stay the same whatever the calendar?
That's the hope.. that the underlying data would stay the same. As I detailed above, If you wanted to see where that data relates to different cultures or different locales (ie planets even) without changing any of the underlying overall storyline.

Quote:
Thinking about it a bit more, what I'm really grasping at is the ability to change which calendar is displayed for the data in the snippet. If I were doing it, I would have the data stored like in spreadsheets. (As integers for dates and decimals for time.) Have the base calendar set as Gregorian, which hopefully allows for the date to be shown as dd/mm/yyyy and mm/dd/yyyy, then if the calendar is set to Golarian, RW will show the Golarian date.
I think we are saying the same thing more or less... the confusion is your use of Gregorian as the base.
For example:
Excel stores dates as sequential serial numbers so that they can be used in calculations. By default, January 1, 1900, is serial number 1, and January 1, 2008, is serial number 39448 because it is 39,448 days after January 1, 1900.

Excel is based on Gregorian as noted above. Creating a serial string to convert into a format d/mm/yy, dd/mm/yyyy, mm/dd/yy, mm/dd/yyyy, etc

By starting with 1900 exel becomes cumbersome with any date before 1Jan1900.
In contrast in a database environment similar to RW they count seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft website
According to MSDN, in all versions of Microsoft C/C++ except Microsoft C/C++ version 7.0, and in all versions of Microsoft Visual C++, the time function returns the current time as the number of seconds elapsed since midnight on January 1, 1970 (i.e. epoch). In Microsoft C/C++ version 7.0, time returned the current time as the number of seconds elapsed since midnight on December 31, 1899.
not to derail this into a discussion on software coding, I would speculate that LWD would approach it in similar fashion, counting seconds... it is just a determinate of where does the count begin in relation to everything "default".
Quote:
So what I'm really saying is that I hope there is, 1) a way to bulk change the displayed date to the calendar you want, 2) set snippets to display the calendar you want in the category stucture, so they can be entered as Gregorian if you want, and 3) pasting of date data, which would have to be in Gregorian format, but then the calendar displayed would be the one you want.
I agree, though the underlying "default" will actually be some sort of serial string (most likely) and the end user will select what DISPLAY default they wish.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #181 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Man I will just be happy with a calendar to track time and events.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #182 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Man I will just be happy with a calendar to track time and events.
LOL I hear ya...
One that is integrated into the other data...

Right now I have a calendar system, but its external of RW and I must keep all the plates spinning at the same rate for it to work smoothly. cumbersome but doable.

Would be fantastically simpler to have them all inter-relate to the rest of the "world" so to speak...
  • no more looking ahead to see what phases are the moons in
  • no more short listing the upcoming holidays or festivals the PCS may run across in town
  • no more barbarians asking if its the 3rd of Richfest here what is that where my people are from?

Well, maybe, no more isn't the correct phrase... the players will still want all of that,,,, its really no more digging.... those answers would be only clicks away...... Ah to bask in the Dream....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #183 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 12th, 2014, 02:20 AM
I don't know if this will have any influence, but I would like to add my vote for this. I just bought the software despite some reservations. One of the things that convinced me to go for it was I read a comment in a video into that multiple calendars were now supported. I should have double-checked the forums. My bad (though they really should have a trial version). I'll probably still use the software, it seems better than Master Plan in other wasys and it is better than Evernote for organizing my campaign info.

But I am very disappointed in the lack of calendar support. Having to convert from Gregorian to Harptos and some other custom calendars (I also use the Old Norse calendar in my campaign) is a pain. It would be INCREDIBLY useful and immersive to have a way to toggle between calendar systems to see the dates in the proper system.

I know that there are a million features that users of such a complex and flexible tool will want to see. But a proper calendar feature seems like a basic core feature of a campaign-management system. I really hope that that developers prioritize this, though it looks like this has been discussed and pled for by many users for a long time.
MNBlockHead is offline   #184 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 14th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
..............My bad (though they really should have a trial version).
The way Realm Works sync and flexibility to multiple workstations makes having a "trial Version" Difficult. As it really isn't cost prohibitive. less than one PS4 or Xbox one game?

Quote:
I'll probably still use the software, it seems better than Master Plan in other wasys and it is better than Evernote for organizing my campaign info.
I agree on both counts, though still use a portion of MasterPlan to maintain custom Calendar for Holidays and such.... but dislike have to have completely separate calendars for my data with in that software. RealmWorks hopes to integrate multiple calendars within the SAME realm (world) so no more hopping back and forth.

Quote:
But I am very disappointed in the lack of calendar support. Having to convert from Gregorian to Harptos and some other custom calendars (I also use the Old Norse calendar in my campaign) is a pain. It would be INCREDIBLY useful and immersive to have a way to toggle between calendar systems to see the dates in the proper system.
That's the plan.

Quote:
..............But a proper calendar feature seems like a basic core feature of a campaign-management system. ............, though it looks like this has been discussed and pled for by many users for a long time.
It is basic, and it was there for the Beta Test, but found to be "unusable in its Beta State."

As to the "Pleas..." I'm One of the Calendar Banner Wavers for Top o' List patrons!! hehe
So yes it has been discussed (at length)

BUT "long time" is relative to perspective...... As the Cosmos go.. not so much, As the length of the Roman Empire... nope.... The Rise of US supremacy from a colonial state? No still not that long... The Growth of the "home Computer"... getting warmer.... The next re-boot of Superman..... opps deviated... might be shorter than that one now.... (hehe)

Seriously, those in need of Printing, exporting, or Formatting for Eye appeal would Cry as loudly for their needs to be met as well, and consider it "core or a basic" need....

Remember as a community we number in the hundreds (Thousands?) and LWD is less than 20... So not bad for less than 20 very dedicated people following a dream to reality... I think....

Disclaimer NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with LWD, Realm Works, Rob, Colen, Arron, or Liz... (though would adopt Liz, shes too cute haha)

If anything I am one of Rob's Rock throwing targets when I scrutinize toooo much...

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; December 14th, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #185 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 15th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Well said, DLG.

~ Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak
Chemlak is offline   #186 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 15th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Well said, DLG.

~ Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak
Which part? that Liz is cute? Just a statement in the obvious...

All I can add to that is>
@ Her Husband (I think Joe?), my man, you better keep her happy, its not many who find one that WANTS a gaming Room in their house! hehe

Even as wonderful as mine is, she was opposed to ours.... took some careful negotiations (and honeydo's) to seal the deal!
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #187 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 15th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Points all well taken DLG. For now, I am playing around with Aeon Timeline. Not sure that I wan't to spend $40 on just a timeline tool, but it might have some work applications as well. It might be fun to create some nice graphic time lines that can be shared with players. I'm looking into other tools as well, since what I need most is a converter so that I can convert Gregorian dates into other systems on the fly.
MNBlockHead is offline   #188 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 16th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Points all well taken DLG. For now, I am playing around with Aeon Timeline. Not sure that I wan't to spend $40 on just a timeline tool, but it might have some work applications as well. It might be fun to create some nice graphic time lines that can be shared with players. I'm looking into other tools as well, since what I need most is a converter so that I can convert Gregorian dates into other systems on the fly.
Aeon Timeline... Hadn't heard of this.. looking it is very similar to one I built utilizing Exel. Let me know how the quest goes for you... I'd be curious....

For now I limp through using the excel / Masterplan variants of 12 differing calendars I have in motion... the pain is the cross indexing that the promise of RW would correct. IT would be so much easier to maintain story line, plot development and time passing all within the same "sand box".
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #189 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Aeon Timeline is not working out that well. It is a neat tool, designed to help writers create time lines for their stories or as background material for their fictional universes. It allows you to created data-rich timelines and you can create and use custom calendars for this purpose.

My problem is that I don't see any easy way to convert dates on the fly. I don't see a way to show a timeline in multiple calendar formats side by side or to toggle a date among multiple calendars.

My NEW plan (don't ask me how much time I've been spending starting and scrapping different ideas for dealing with calendars) is to create a Google Calendar for each custom calendar. Firs, I create standard Gregorian Google Calendar, which will match the CE dates I enter into RW. Then I create a Harptos calendar and enter as repeating events all the months, inter-month holidays, etc. Rinse and repeat for my other calendars. Google App's calendar offers great layering functionality so that I can toggle calendars on and off so that they are not cluttering my calendar in my day to day use and when gaming, I can hide everything but the fantasy calendars. Leap years are handled fairly inelegantly by taking the month, inter-month holiday, or intercalary days and entering them separately for leap-years and non leap years. Leap years are what may be the point in failure in all this. If I want to have thousands of years represented, I need to have all items repeated infinately. That's easy when you just need to repeat annually every X years. If you match your leap year date to the Gregorian leap year date, it isn't a problem, but none of my calendars work this way.

It may be that I just have a spreadsheet showing the conversion for a non leapyear and another for a leap year and as I entered events into RW just type the dates in the other calendar formats by referencing the days & months on spreadsheet.
MNBlockHead is offline   #190 Reply With Quote