Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TCArknight

Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Is there a way, for example when a race adds an ability that lets the user choose one of three attributes, to have that be a 'Popup' with the chooser in it and not attached directly to a tab?

Or is the best way to have it be a chooser on the abilities tab?

My example:
I choose the Human race, and it bootstraps X ability. X ability allows the choice of a bonus to Attribute 1, Attribute 2 or Attribute 3.

I'd like to have a window popup with those three Attributes and a checkbox or radio buton or menu to let the user select one of the three and then close.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Thomas
TCArknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM
The notion of sub-forms is limited within HL. This is because sub-forms make for a less obvious interface that also becomes more complicated, so we try to avoid them. They are only used when adding something that needs to be constructed or customized, such as a custom magic weapon within d20.

If the race selection has cascading implications associated with it, I would suggest moving the race off the static panel and into a tab. Then you could place the three menus/choosers associated with the attribute bonuses next to it on the same tab, as well as any checkbox. This would visually group everything and make for a more intuitive interface.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Paladin1127

Old August 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have the same problem- I'm adding a Godsend Agenda feat and I would like to add a popup allowing the player to chose which abilities are granted. Here's the short excerpt of the text:

You may take Powers that require the usage of Ka to activate them, or you
may have powers that strengthen or manipulate Ka. Furthermore, for each rank of this feat you may select one of the following ways to spend Ka, other than what is normal (as per hero points in a normal Superlink game.) The character must announce spending the Ka before rolling any dice that will be impacted by the Ka expenditure except when using damage buffer.

● Combat Bonus: Spending 1 Ka will enhance an attack roll, or damage or defense bonus by 1 for one round.

● Damage Buffer: Spending 1 Ka will reduce the damage bonus of an attack against you by 1 for one round.

[snip]

Sorry about copying text from the book but this eliminates any confusion about what I need to do.

I figured that I can build the abilities as feats told to show on the special tab.

My current line of thought is to add a prerequisite script to each of these special feats that checks the current ranks of the Ka Awakened feat and how many feats with the tag "Ka Awakened Ability" have already been taken to see if another may be taken yet or not.

Problem is it's ugly, and the feats cost character points, unless there is a way to script adding a character point back every time one of these is taken.

Needless to say a picker of some sort would be better, though the second issue still needs to be addressed, maybe there is a way to do it through incrementing pptFeat (power point tally)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Paladin1127; August 14th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Paladin1127 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 19th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Paladin1127, It sounds like you can add a chooser menu to your feats that allows you to select the specific version of the feat - the same way Skill focus in d20 allows you to pick the specific skill to apply the feat to.

Last edited by Mathias; August 19th, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
For your question about the feat costing character creation points, look through the Savage Worlds Walkthroughs - look at how attribute points and skill points are tallied in that system - it sounds like all you need to do is tally the feats taken the same way.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
Paladin1127, It sounds like you can add a chooser menu to your feats that allows you to select the specific version of the feat - the same way Skill focus in d20 allows you to pick the specific skill to apply the feat to.
Just a quick clarification since Mathias is correct, but his choice of words may be a little unclear in one respect. HL has both "chooser" portals and "menu" portals. They are very different in nature and in how/where/when they can be used. You will need to use a "menu" portal for your feat in order to choose the set of abilities. You cannot use a "chooser" portal in this instance.

We're all still zonked from GenCon and trying to get caught up. So we're probably going to be a little foggy-brained for a couple days still. :-)
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote