Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Daeorian

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I don't quite fully grasp the difference between how the two are handled in Hero Lab.

In my campaign setting, The World of Daeoria, I have certain NPCs that play a vital role as major antagonists to the party, and a few that are an ongoing source of aid and information. These special NPCs I have fleshed out as fully fledged PCs. (I have on occasion even played these NPCs myself as a player character when sitting in as a player in someone else's campaign, just to give myself a chance to immerse myself into the character's mind, so to speak.)

I have been hesitant to use the Hero Lab "Type: Non-Player Character", mostly because I didn't want to spend a lot of time on one of the special NPCs only to find that there's some limitation I didn't know about, then have to re-do the whole thing again as a "Type: Hero (PC)".

A throw-away NPC is one I think I might use the "Type: Non-Player Character" for, but I think I want to continue to flesh out major NPCs as "Type: Hero (PC)".

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this that they'd care to share?

Thanks in advance.
Daeorian is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM
The only differences in Hero Lab that are created by the PC/NPC selector are that PCs have a Journal tab, so they can record the experience they gain, NPCs have an NPC tab that can be used to enter Ecology, Tactics, etc. entries that will be added to the statblock (and the Description item, which is added to the statblock as italicized text at the top).

While PCs select their starting level on the configure hero form, and Hero Lab will make sure that you take as many levels as you told it you were going to take, NPCs can add as many or as few levels as you like without HL complaining (and without having to go back to the configure hero form to change it if you change your mind on how many levels the NPC needs in order to be a threat to your PCs).

The Starting cash for a PC defaults to 150gp (we figured the Pathfinder Society's starting amount would be a reasonable default in general), the starting cash for an NPC defaults to 0gp.

When viewing the total value of the character's gear along the top, that total will be compared to a different table for PCs and for NPCs.

You can switch back-and-forth between PC and NPC as much as you want.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Edit: What Mathias said.
Sendric is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Daeorian

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
[...] You can switch back-and-forth between PC and NPC as much as you want.
[Donning German soldier's helmet and wire-framed glasses a la Artie Johnson] In-ter-est-ing. Veeery interesting. I think I'll create a scratch NPC just to play around with this.
Daeorian is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
I amcreating all the NPCs for the Kingmaker path and use the NPC option all the time. it has some better options then PC, like you can adjust the size, or add a template, such as zonbie on to it at any point.

i can assign class levels if i wish as well. i find the NPC function very useful.

the one thing that i would like to see for an NPC is a text area for treasure. I have been using the personl tab for it for now, but an other NPC option for treasure would be good.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Excuse me, chiefweasel, how do the PC options for adjustments and templates vary from the NPC options for those things? Are you seeing any differences? There are not supposed to be any.

There is a text area for treasure - go to the NPC tab, and select "Ecology - Treasure"
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
When i make an NPC i can add things like additional HD, but as a PC i dont see those options.

For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
When you find a race that allows you to add additional HD, try switching it to a PC character - whether or not you can add additional HD is controlled by the race, not the PC/NPC setting.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'll check it out. maybe i just have never had to make a human NPC, lol.

chiefweasel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
bittergeek

Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hero Lab shows a validation error if a NPC has traits. Merely annoying, but it is a difference between PC/NPC
bittergeek is offline   #10 Reply With Quote