Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

RayPrancer

Old August 8th, 2009, 04:04 AM
After reading through the documentation, I'm a bit confused as to where to start with my new project for the Fudge system. Fortunatly some of the rules are available as a free pdf on the publishers site (www.fudgerpg.com).

As you will see most character traits operate on a fill in the blank basis, I assume it's a simple matter of adapting the 3rd Edition Code for unlisted skills.

Here is a typical completed character for my preferred setting - which I wrote myself (there are also some in the pdf for other settings):

Ice the Wet, Male Water Halfling Mage (Icer), Scale -2
Culture: Aquian, Languages: Aquian, Trade
Attributes: Strength: Fair (0), Agility: Good (+1), Concentration: Good (+1), Memory: Great (+2), Courage: Mediocre (-1) - net +3
Elemental Reduction: Cold Spells, Water Spells
Very Hard Skills: Earth Spells: Mediocre (3), Air Spells: Mediocre (3)
Hard Skills: Cold Spells: Good (5), Water Spells: Good (5)
Average Skills: Dagger: Good (4), Dowsing: Good (4)
Net Skills Spent: 24
Gifts: Mage, Aiming Gift, Ambidexterity, Nymph Tides III, Outer Beauty - net 7 Gifts
Flaws: Taboo Skill: Fire Spells, Hobbit - net 3 Faults
18 Skill Levels traded for 3 Gifts
1 Bonus Attribute Level and 1 Attribute Level traded for 1 Gift
RayPrancer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, we have to be on a plane in 72 hours to leave for GenCon. We're in a major scramble on this end to get everything wrapped up in time. Your open-ended question essentially is asking us to take the time to read through the rules for the game system, give it some thought, and then provide you with directions on how to proceed. We simply don't have time to do all that right now.

For a system where you "fill in the blanks", the only real difference will be that you don't validate whether the various resources are consumed during creation. Instead, you'll simply tally everything up normally and report how much was consumed, so the player knows the appropriate "net" values you've included for attributes, skills, etc.

Instead of showing just numbers for attributes, you'll display the text version, which you can generated readily. An example of this is shown for Savage Worlds, where the numeric value is converted to a die type. You'll just convert it to "Fair", "Good", etc.

Beyond that, from the sample character you show, it looks like everything is just a matter of selecting choices from lists, which will map to assorted tables within HL. I'm not sure about the rules for trade-ins, so it might be something that is calculated automatically or maybe something that needs to be officially recorded.

I strongly recommend that you stop by our seminars at GenCon next week. We're going to be going through the overall process of creating data files for a new game system, and we're going to be using concrete examples from various games. So I think it would be extremely enlightening and would eliminate a lot of the confusion about how best to get started.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old August 9th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Sorry about that, I tend to lose track of even the major cons as there are so few I can make - and unfortunatly I can't make GenCon this year either. It's one of the main disadvantages of living in the UK. Hopefully you'll still be running the demos when I do finally get to one.

For now I'll just look at the Savage Worlds info and see if I can come up with a more specific question.
RayPrancer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote