Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShawnMerrow

Old September 24th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I just installed Deadlands Noir to Hero Labs today and have a question about it. How do you enter the Poverty Hindrance as you get no points for it.
ShawnMerrow is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShawnMerrow

Old September 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
The setting says everyone starts with the Poverty Hindrance but that is not setup in the Deadlands Noir file. How do I modify it to do that? I'm new to this and have no idea on how to do that.
ShawnMerrow is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 29th, 2016, 03:32 AM
It's built into the setting. Nothing more to do to "add" it. In effect bootstrapping the Hindrance was problematic for a bunch of reasons so it won't show on the sheet that way, instead it is set as a modifier to the Setting itself. Suffice to say "it's in there", so there's nothing more to really do for it.

Hope that helps!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShawnMerrow

Old September 29th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Poverty drops your starting cash to $75 and it still starts with the default of $150.
ShawnMerrow is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 29th, 2016, 03:05 PM
The starting money can be changed, but bootstrapping based on setting does not work. Well, it can.... how you might do it is to make versions of each race that is available and then bootstrap it to those. Seeing as it is Deadlands, you could make a copy of racHuman. But that is lame because then you have to pick Human even though it opens to Human on default.

So, not having played Deadlands Noir, I will say this: if everyone starts with only 75, you could make new versions of "Rich" and "Filthy Rich" as well as make an "Average" wealth edge, which would basically be doubled after the setting sets it to $75 starting.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I did similar by making up an option that I put in my Configure Hero menu where Doubting Thomas is the norm. In effect, everyone is assumed to have Doubting Thomas, and my version of Arcane Background (I use only one to rule them all) I made it so that if that is checked in the menu that Arcane Background requires an intermediary edge that basically buys off Doubting Thomas.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 29th, 2016, 04:56 PM
No, no, starting money is a strange thing, I've found. It seems to remember the previous setting it was on and sometimes doesn't change it when you change your settings... or there is interference from other boxes you've checked. I can't seem to get it to be particularly consistent, to be honest. It's one of those things I make sure to manually check every time I start out a new character OR I make sure to send a template portfolio out to the players for the setting which always has it set correctly. Trust me, though, the Poverty Hindrance IS in there and all of the appropriate other monetary Hindrances and Edges are set up properly (no need to full around with "Rich" and "Filthy Rich" or any of that.) In fact, DLN is probably the most complete data file out there since I kind of went a bit nuts and included all of the baddies and even did some work on setting up encounters and such (although I forget how to pull them up now since I never did end up using them in Hero Lab as the GM when I ran DLN myself as I ended up using Fantasy Grounds for that part instead.)

Trust me, though, SeelyOne, I'm pretty sure it's set-up right. You can double-check the file, though, and see if I screwed something up. I'm happy to fix it if I missed something there.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 30th, 2016, 03:28 AM
For anyone interested my original release notes do cover this issue:

Quote:
Also the rules declare that all characters start with the Poverty hindrance. The problem is that if you take the Comfortable Edge it should just remove the Poverty Hindrance as its effect, but I've yet to find a good way to do that either. So instead the effects of the Poverty hindrance are applied to the character but the Hindrance is not listed on the sheet. Taking Comfortable will appropriately set starting cash to $150, though, and Rich and Filthy Rich also adjust money appropriately (as will Destitute.) So it's just something to be aware of that while the Poverty Hindrance doesn't show on the character sheet you can rest assured that the effects are still applied appropriately.
Why Starting Money never works consistently (for me, anyway) is just something I've never been able to figure out. Then again maybe I've coded something wrong on how to set up starting money, but if so I've no clue what the problem is.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 30th, 2016, 03:57 AM
I found that for starting money to work right you have to use a "Default Character sheet" or a character with it already "checked" as the source as it opens. In other words, save your character, close Hero Lab, and then open a character that already exists with the source.

SeeleyOne is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 30th, 2016, 03:59 AM
Deadlands has a working example. In my house rules file, I use an if statement by source so there is only one place that it gets set.

Setup 4000

Quote:
trustme
var cash as number
cash = 500

if (hero.tagis[source.Deadlands] <> 0) then
cash = 250
endif

herofield[acCashCfg].value = cash

SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote