Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

atonally

Old October 11th, 2013, 05:55 AM
When I'm wielding a courageous weapon, I don't see any of my morale bonuses increase by 1/2 my weapon's enhancement bonus. Is this a known issue?
atonally is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 11th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Preview
We were uncertain about what the RAI for this power actually were, so we asked Paizo for clarification. Here's the question and answer (from Sean Reynolds):
We were uncertain about what the RAI for this power actually were, so we asked Paizo for clarification. Here's the question, with the answer (from Sean Reynolds):
--The Courageous Weapon power (Ultimate Equipment pg. 138) says “The wielder gains a morale bonus on saving throws against fear equal to the weapon’s enhancement bonus. In addition, any morale bonus the wielder gains from any other source is increased by half the wielder’s enhancement bonus (minimum 1).” Our reading of this is that the second part is referring to other morale bonuses to save vs. fear – for example, a fighter’s Bravery ability – those abilities are increased in strength, so that this weapon power isn’t useless for fighters. Others read this as improving all morale bonuses to anything else on the character – they’re usually adding it to a barbarian, to improve the rage bonuses. It seems that improving rage to 1˝x its normal strength is a very powerful effect, which should cost much more than the +1 bonus with this weapon, so we wanted to verify how it should be used.

The second part should only affect morale bonuses to saves (fear or otherwise).

Quote:
--The Courageous Weapon power (Ultimate Equipment pg. 138) says “The wielder gains a morale bonus on saving throws against fear equal to the weapon’s enhancement bonus. In addition, any morale bonus the wielder gains from any other source is increased by half the wielder’s enhancement bonus (minimum 1).” Our reading of this is that the second part is referring to other morale bonuses to save vs. fear – for example, a fighter’s Bravery ability – those abilities are increased in strength, so that this weapon power isn’t useless for fighters. Others read this as improving all morale bonuses to anything else on the character – they’re usually adding it to a barbarian, to improve the rage bonuses. It seems that improving rage to 1˝x its normal strength is a very powerful effect, which should cost much more than the +1 bonus with this weapon, so we wanted to verify how it should be used.

The second part should only affect morale bonuses to saves (fear or otherwise).

We have not had a chance to implement this change yet. It is on our to-do list.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 11th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Sorry about the repeated text in that - this forum seems to glitch on copied text, and when I go to edit my post, it gives me an empty post to edit.
Mathias is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
atonally

Old October 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Sorry about the repeated text in that - this forum seems to glitch on copied text, and when I go to edit my post, it gives me an empty post to edit.
No worries. Thanks for the clarification!
atonally is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Banpai

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Actually, since the description isn't clear, Hero Lab lists the bonus from this weapon enhancement under situational bonuses and penalties: courageous +4 moral vs fear (+2 stacks with similar) this text is there whether the character has a moral bonus (like heroism) active or not.
Until I found this very threat today, I was not aware that +2 stacks with similar is supposed to mean, stacks with existing moral bonuses (but only of you actually get them), since this interpretation can't be deduced from the item as written.

Obviously not your fault, but maybe you could make this effect a little bit more obvious.
Banpai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote