Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

EightBitz

Old November 23rd, 2016, 03:25 PM
The main mindmapping program I'm thinking of is Freemind. It saves in .mm format. It can also export to XML, HTML and XHTML.

Would it be possible for a user to create some sort of template for importing from Freemind's XML export into Realmworks's Storyboard?

Or would it be practical for LWD to create some sort of import function for mindmaps?

I know this won't be a priority, but is it a possibility?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 23rd, 2016, 05:56 PM
Since we'll have the full XSD for the export/import format for the Realms, and we'll be fully able to generate new XML data externally and then import it into RealmWorks, then there's definitely always the possibility down the line of writing your own conversion script for this task.

However, mindmaps don't really sound like the best way to create the original data for this, as mindmaps only support top-down hierarchies and each node can only ever have a single unique "parent" or precedent or upper node. RealmWorks Storyboards do not have this constraint, and multiple plot points can "lead to" the same plot point, or even loop.
DaFranker is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFranker View Post
Since we'll have the full XSD for the export/import format for the Realms, and we'll be fully able to generate new XML data externally and then import it into RealmWorks, then there's definitely always the possibility down the line of writing your own conversion script for this task.

However, mindmaps don't really sound like the best way to create the original data for this, as mindmaps only support top-down hierarchies and each node can only ever have a single unique "parent" or precedent or upper node. RealmWorks Storyboards do not have this constraint, and multiple plot points can "lead to" the same plot point, or even loop.
Quit using logic and reason to foil my plans!
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Quit using logic and reason to foil my plans!
I'll use vanity and mindhacks then.

Did you know that 98% of RealmWorks users find the Storyboards display of RealmWorks much more visually appealing that the rendered mindmaps of Freemind?

Many have even expressed comments such as "Wow, it's so much clearer what's going on" and "Dude, rob even said mindmaps are useless, you can trust rob".
DaFranker is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:20 PM
Quote:
I'll use vanity and mindhacks then.

Did you know that 98% of RealmWorks users find the Storyboards display of RealmWorks much more visually appealing that the rendered mindmaps of Freemind?

Many have even expressed comments such as "Wow, it's so much clearer what's going on" and "Dude, rob even said mindmaps are useless, you can trust rob".
I'm guessing that your "statistic" here is pulled from somewhere the sun doesn't usually shine. While the sentiment echoes my personal feelings on the subject, I don't believe there is any scientific data to back that up - only empirical data.

As for the attributed quote, I have to take exception. I can assure you that someone, somewhere, at some point, will take your comment here and repeat it elsewhere as if it were fact. So I need to go on the record proclaiming that the above "quote" was never made by me. Possibly someone else named Rob, but not the person with that name on these forums.

Yes, I've become jaded, even cynical. Unfortunately, that's one of the many lessons that 18 years of doing consumer products for gamers has pummeled into me. <sigh>
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:29 PM
I use X-Mind. I don't use it to plot out stories—not sure why—I guess I find that simple enough to do in RW, so why bother with another tool. But I did use X-Mind to build pantheons. Being able to import each node as a topic in RW with relationships would be pretty cool. So a plus 1 why-not vote, but if I had to weight my features requests, this would be way back in the line.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I'm guessing that your "statistic" here is pulled from somewhere the sun doesn't usually shine. While the sentiment echoes my personal feelings on the subject, I don't believe there is any scientific data to back that up - only empirical data.

As for the attributed quote, I have to take exception. I can assure you that someone, somewhere, at some point, will take your comment here and repeat it elsewhere as if it were fact. So I need to go on the record proclaiming that the above "quote" was never made by me. Possibly someone else named Rob, but not the person with that name on these forums.

Yes, I've become jaded, even cynical. Unfortunately, that's one of the many lessons that 18 years of doing consumer products for gamers has pummeled into me. <sigh>
Haha sorry, I was definitely counting on someone calling bullshit on all that
DaFranker is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
I would like some more features in the storyboard but closer to classical software diagramming tools rather than mindmapping stuff.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I would like some more features in the storyboard but closer to classical software diagramming tools rather than mindmapping stuff.
I'm all for this as well, if RW have the genius required to make more elaborate diagramming tools somehow user friendly. There's very few of those out there.
DaFranker is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old November 24th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Haha sorry, I was definitely counting on someone calling bullshit on all that
Well, I did ask you to stop using logic and reason. :-)
EightBitz is offline   #10 Reply With Quote