Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lamenter 40K

Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:40 AM
Hello all,

I've upgraded to the new version and would like to take advantage of some of the new features. I don't really know what XSL or XSLT are and what to do with them when I export my roster as one of these files. Can someone explain or point me to a good resource?

I'm also wondering if anyone has created or come across any good image packs for 40K. I've done some searching for various Blood Angel unit types to add in but it's hit or miss. Are there any good places to look?

Thanks!
Lamenter 40K is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Cypher-WB

Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenter 40K View Post
Hello all,

I've upgraded to the new version and would like to take advantage of some of the new features. I don't really know what XSL or XSLT are and what to do with them when I export my roster as one of these files. Can someone explain or point me to a good resource?

I'm also wondering if anyone has created or come across any good image packs for 40K. I've done some searching for various Blood Angel unit types to add in but it's hit or miss. Are there any good places to look?

Thanks!
A good place to start to look and learn would be... http://www.w3schools.com/

If you look in the help files under custom, there is a very brief tutorial showing you how to copy an existing output type for your own use...

C:\Program Files\Army Builder\docs\manual\customoutput.htm (should be here if you did a standard install)

I would suggest starting there.

I am new to XSL and XSLT (although I do have a little developer experience) myself... Here is what I did to start to get a feel for things.

Create a small army list. 500 points or so, barely meeting the FOC...

Go to File, save as custom (choose the last option for XML) print that out in color.

Repeat this stop expect choose the roster output.
Open your save .htm file with notepad++ (you will need to download, its free)
and print out the result of your *.htm file

Next, if you followed the steps in the tutorial from the manual, ggo to your newly created MyOutPut (found at c:\ArmybuilderEX\customoutput\generic\myoutput)

and open roster.xml with notepad++

Ensure you print all of your coded documents out in color it will make your life easier! From there you start to look at the attributes, links, templates, etc... to see how things relate... you will need to go back to the w3schools links for help im sure... but it will give your code and expected output...

Hope this does not make things more confusing as I am still learning myself...

Maybe we can get a thread going of peoples custom outputs?

Last edited by Cypher-WB; January 2nd, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Cypher-WB is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Cypher-WB

Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Forgot to add my One general rule of thumb for a beginner...
until you feel 100% confident!!!

Only make one change at a time and test...

Alos, learn how to comment out lines! this will do 2 things. Allows you to comment your code so you know what you were trying to do! as well as give you a good safe way to make changes with losing everything... what I mean by this is.

If you want to make a change to a table. Copy the code snippet for the table section in place so you have two sections back to back and comment out the original... If you mess it up when you make changes you have the original to fall back on
Cypher-WB is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for your tips, Cypher-WB.

For anyone looking to create their own custom output types, the user manual has a tutorial that takes you through making minor modifications to one of the existing output types. I suggest that anyone interested checks it out!
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote