Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Starfinder

Notices

Unseelie

Old January 12th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Is there a reason that PC races are not an option for NPCs in the Starfinder dataset?
Unseelie is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old January 12th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Sorry, should have asked in the Starfinder area
Unseelie is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
skamage

Old January 13th, 2019, 02:19 AM
Here’s how I do it:

Create new NPC
Select Custom Race for Race
Select Humanoid for Creature Type Graft
Choose PC race you want for Creature Subtype Graft (for example Human)
skamage is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old January 13th, 2019, 07:20 AM
@mods Please move this to the HLO Starfinder forum.

As I recall, I think specific grafts for the core races do not exist, from a foggy memory a long time ago. I will have to double check.
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 13th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Custom Race will allow you to build any NPC you want, with any combination of type and subtype grafts and any CR. The other races are all pre-built NPCs, with the CR, array, grafts, etc. already chosen (although you can edit all those elements if you want to use that NPC as a starting point for a variant). So until Paizo publishes a "Human" entry in an Alien Archive, the same way there's a "Haan" entry on pg. 58 of Alien Archive 1, there won't be something specifically called "Human" to choose from. And that Haan is a CR3 expert, not just a generic member of the race.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
JWMangrum

Old April 11th, 2020, 03:16 PM
Not to engage in necromancy, but I find myself at a loss here with less-standard races. How do I, say, make...

...a tiefling ("planar scion") technomancer NPC?
...an uplifted bear mystic NPC?

Specifically, how does one create an NPC using a race from the Alien Archives that *isn't* locked into the class arrays from the books?
JWMangrum is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 11th, 2020, 04:13 PM
Hello JW,

To do this you need to build them as a Player Character, or alternatively, you can do as Mathias suggested and create a Detailed NPC using the Alien Archive rules and then use the Custom Race Option and then define it using the Race and Customize Race Tabs. Once you have your Custom Race defined and given all the Traits and other things you'd like it to have you can then proceed by adding the NPC Class Grafts.

The reason for this is because there exists no such thing as a generic NPC statblock for the various Player Character Races such as the plain-and-dull Human, Kasatha, or SRO. Any statblocks provided in any sources thus-far have been for NPCs that have been more or less built in this manner in-house by Paizo. These things were just never created or published for us to input and sadly we do not really have the latitude or rights to just mock-up our own versions of what we personally THINK these things might look like since that would end up being a misrepresentation of the rules in print that we have the rights for.

Until a source is published with the sort of "blank-slate" NPCs for each of the various Player Races which have defined stats for the purpose of using as a base for NPC building there isn't really much else we can do. I hope this helps!
Ryan F is offline   #7 Reply With Quote