Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Notices

haibane

Old March 6th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Is there a good guide out there on how to run a campaign in HeroLab? I keep trying to add NPCs for players to fight, but they all show up as 0 hp and it doesn't seem like the stats are being copied over. Is this still a work in progress or am I doing something wrong?
haibane is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old March 6th, 2022, 06:10 PM
I think we'd need a little more info on how you're adding NPCs to know what's going wrong. The short version is you need to go into your campaign and create scene scripts (which should represent an encounter). If you can recurring NPCs that might show up in multiple scenes (or custom monsters) you should first create those as cast members.

In your scene/encounter, link NPCs from cast members, or import monsters from the vault.

For an encounter, open the stage in your campaign. Start a session and add PCs to the stage. Once the session is active, you'll have the option to enact script and import one of your scene scripts. And you can enter tactical mode to track initiative at that point as well.
mototom is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
haibane

Old March 6th, 2022, 07:09 PM
Yeah... I'm just adding a NPC from the vault into the scene script. Then when I load the stage, and add the scene. I've tried multiple NPCs, and they all load as 0/0hp with no stats. These are pulled straight from the bestiary.
haibane is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old March 6th, 2022, 08:03 PM
I can't get that to happen. Did you open the vault creature in the scene script and see if it's coming in the script correctly? Is it any monster, or a specific one? It would probably be good to narrow down whether it's coming from the vault with zero stats, or losing stats when going from the script to the stage.

I created a new scene script. I added a random creature from the vault—Aapoph Serpentfolk, quantity 2. Then I enacted scene on the stage. All the stats match what's in the scene script.
mototom is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2022, 01:01 AM
Please give us some specific examples of NPCs you've encountered this on.

Also, check what package those come from - do you own the package for those monsters? The Vault isn't even supposed to show them if you don't own the package, but if you did get to see one by mistake and added it, one of the symptoms of not owning the package would be that no stats for the monster would populate - HP would just be the most obvious missing stat.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
haibane

Old March 7th, 2022, 08:55 AM
The first I get it from is a mitflit. If I open the full character it says you must choose an ancestry. I own bestiary 1. I can’t test aapoph as It doesn’t show in my list.
haibane is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Then check the character settings on this monster, and make sure the Bestiary is turned on - if it says you need to select an ancestry, then you are getting the issue where it's acting as if you don't have the Bestiary set for this monster. Checking the Character Settings section will figure out whether Bestiary is just not turned on (in which case we'll have to figure out what's going on to create that situation), or if the Bestiary is grayed out, which would mean there's some sort of account mixup such that the account you're working with isn't the one you added the Bestiary to (or you bought Bestiary 2 while intending to buy Bestiary 1 or something like that).
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
haibane

Old March 7th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Mathias, thanks I think you fixed my issue. I didn’t have bestiary enabled as a character setting for the mitflit. I should be good to go!
haibane is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2022, 09:28 AM
The problem is that if you own the package, it's supposed to be turned on by default when you import the character, so I'd like to know where that failed. One possibility - did you add the monster, and then purchase the Bestiary package?
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
haibane

Old March 7th, 2022, 10:04 AM
It’s possible it failed because I created the campaign and then added the package after realizing it wasn’t specific to the AV adventure, but it was instead from the bestiary. I was not able to pull up the monster before buying the package.
haibane is offline   #10 Reply With Quote