Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Sigil

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
How do you remove races, languages, spells, from the HL that are not in my world? Also can you tell me how to make my ammo usage count down instead of up. I looked around the forums, read the docs but was not able to find a way to do these things.

Great program keep the good work up!!

Thank you,
Sigil
Sigil is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM
At 10:09 AM 1/27/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
How do you remove races, languages, spells, from the HL that are not in my world?
If you want to effectively delete something from the data files, you'll need to use the "hidden" element within your own data file to accomplish it. This is not something currently supported by the editor, but it's easy to do. The details on this are found in the chapter on Data Files within the Authoring Kit documentation.

Let's assume you want to get rid of the "Gnome" race for an example. The first step is to create a data file you can use. The easiest way to do this is to use the editor to create an empty data file. Alternately, you can copy an existing data file and then strip out its guts. If you use the editor to create an empty file, you'll have a file that looks like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<document signature="Hero Lab Data"></document>

You'll need to insert your new material inbetween the "<document>" tags. For each thing you want to remove from use, you'll add one new "hidden" element with the appropriate attributes indicating what you want to hide.

For the "Gnome" race, the unique id of the corresponding thing is "rGnome". You can find this id easily by using the editor. Click on the "Races" tab, click on the "New (Copy)" button, and you'll see the existing races listed by name along with their unique ids.

Using proper XML syntax, the "hidden" element to remove the "Gnome" race will look like the following:

<hidden id="rGnome"/>

Putting this altogether, your data file will look like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<document signature="Hero Lab Data">
<hidden id="rGnome"/>
</document>

That's all there is to it. Once you have your file created, re-compile the data files and re-load the game system - the specified things should no longer appear for selection. If you want to remove multiple things, just use multiple "hidden" elements, with each specifying the unique id of a different thing.

When you use "hidden", the things are not physically removed from the data files. They still exist, but they are not accessible to users when creating heroes. This means you can still access the things within the editor to copy from when creating your own material. And adding them back is as simple as removing the "hidden" element(s) from the data file.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sigil

Old January 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. That is just what I was looking for. I did look in the documentation, but hard to find stuff when you do not know what you are looking for.
Sigil is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
At 08:54 AM 1/28/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. That is just what I was looking for. I did look in the documentation, but hard to find stuff when you do not know what you are looking for.
I completely understand - there's a LOT of material there. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll point you to the pertinent sections of the documentation. And if you still have questions, we'll be happy to delve into more detail on how to get things to work.

-Rob
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote