Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old December 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm getting pretty close on getting a Hell on Earth: Reloaded data file done (well, except for the Creatures... there are a LOT of creatures ). One thing I need to be able to do, though, is to hide a couple of derived traits unless a certain Edge is taken. For example, I have two Derived Traits of Dominion, which I only want to show if the Harrowed Edge is taken, and another for Components, which I only want to show if the Junker Edge has been taken.

Anyone have some idea on how I might do that?

EDIT: Ignore the part where I talk about Components. It was easier, and works better, to implement that as just a stackable Gear item with a Junker pre-requisite.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; December 6th, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
zarlor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I think a containerreq is what you're after... Have you worked with those yet?
CapedCrusader is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I haven't, but I'll take a closer look. Thanks!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Ok, I'm still a bit lost looking at this... a samples set of code for this shows something like:

Quote:
<containerreq phase="Setup" priority="500" name="IsHarrowed">
<before name="BeforeTest"/>
<after name="AfterTest"/>
val:Level.? >= 4
</containerreq>
We'll call it something like that, anyway. I'm thinking there are really two ways I might handle the Dominion trait. I currently set it as a Derived Trait (simply because that's what you did in your Deadlands Reloaded file). So the only way to modify the Trait in play seems to be be by using a Permanent Adjustment on the Personal Tab on a portfolio in question. Which can work, but the more I think about it the more I think it would be a lot nicer if I could create a custom counter to handle it instead, like how Bennies show up on the In-Play tab so you can add or subtract to it as you like.

I just can't quite figure out how to do that part.

Either way, though, I guess the question here is still how would I then use something like that containerreq code to hide that thing (say dtHEDom or whatever the counter might be called) unless the edgHEHar is taken based on the code snippet example provided from the documentation? I know this is probably really basic stuff to ask, but most of my coding experience has been in BASIC, dBase and Unix shell scripting or batches in Windows, with a tiny bit of C thrown into the mix (not even C++, mind you.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 12th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Actually, let's take this a little more directly from code in the file itself. This is for the new derived trait called Dominion.

Quote:
<thing id="trHEDomini" name="Dominion" description="[snip]" compset="Trait" uniqueness="unique">
<usesource source="HoER"/>
<tag group="DashTacCon" tag="Traits"/>
<tag group="DashTacCon" tag="Combat"/>
<tag group="explicit" tag="6"/>
<tag group="DashTacCon" tag="Basics"/>
</thing>
Looking at a different containerreq example do I need to modify the code to something like this?

Quote:
<thing id="trHEDomini" name="Dominion" description="[snip]" compset="Trait" uniqueness="unique">
<usesource source="HoER"/>
<tag group="DashTacCon" tag="Traits"/>
<tag group="DashTacCon" tag="Combat"/>
<tag group="explicit" tag="6"/>
<tag group="DashTacCon" tag="Basics"/>
<containerreq phase="Initialize" priority="2000">
edgHEHarro
</containerreq>
</thing>
Not sure about that timing at all, mind you, but the edge here I want all this to be dependent on is called "edgHEHarro". So not sure if I'm on the right track with that or not.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Ok I think I have a tiny bit of it partially worked out...

I think in the containerreq spot what I need should be something like:
hero#Edge.edgHEHarro

I can't quite get that to work, mind you (if I use it Dominion is, indeed, hidden, but it stays hidden even if I pick up the Harrowed Edge.) But if anyone has an idea if I'm on the right track here I would appreciate it.

EDIT: BTW I've also tried just Edge.edgHEHarro with no luck. Putting only edgHEHarro, as in the coding example I used earlier, gives and error so I'm assuming the other methods I've listed should, maybe, work, but I'm doing something wrong with them? Wrong timing? Is Initialization 2000 the wrong timing maybe?

EDIT2: I've done a bit more experimentation and was able to sucessfully use this method to set up a bunch of Hindrances that will only show if you have a certain Edge or Hindrance, mainly was setting them up for the Veteran o' the Wasted West Table and the Mutations table, each used a Containerreq of hero#Edge.edgHEVetWW and hero#Hindrance.hinHEMutan, respectively, set to Initialization 9000, which works perfectly. So I tried 9000 as a timing for Derived Trait but that's also a no go, but it suggests to me my syntax is correct I just need to figure out the right timing and I'll report here for anyone else who may eventually run into this (unless someone else "in the know" jumps in first.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; December 17th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Go, Lenny!!!
CapedCrusader is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 18th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Thanks, but I'm not having much luck with this one. I get an error if I time it any later than Setup 3000, according to the error message, anyway, but even doing it as early as Initialization 2000 I can't seem to get it to show. I just can't figure out what the timing should be.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Actually, with further testing even the Mutation and Vet Hindrances I added aren't working right. The containerreq works for hiding or showing them based on having the appropriate Edge or Hindrance, but if you then try to add one of the now-visible Hindrances the program will give you a validation error and will not apply any of the effects of the Hindrances. Again, it looks like a timing issue there as well, but it doesn't look like one I can get around. Grrr...

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, I had the same problem with the edges and any armor or gear. So I gave up. Darn I was hoping you would figure it out - Maybe there isn't a way to do it.

Last edited by jbearwillis; December 28th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
jbearwillis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote